AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple ecomm_prodid in dynamic remarketing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm struggiling with validation of my dynamic remarketing tag for pages where I need to pass multiple ecomm_prodid values. Why do AdWords and Tag Assistant refuse to recognize product list (in cart or category) where I set i up like this?:

ecomm_prodid : ['lovecpokladu123', 'lovecpokladu456'] 

For example it's on category page: http://www.lovecpokladu.cz/hobby-detektory-kovu

Category page - not valid

Strangely enough, Tag Assiatant probably recoznizes this ecomm_prodid array:

Tag assistant probably recognized array of ecomm_prodid

The same situation is in cart with 2 or more items.

But when only 1 item is in cart, it's validated! See:

1 item in cart - valid

So please, explain to me, why Google recognizes an array of ecomm_prodid with 1 value but doesn't recognize array with multiple values? And what can I do about it?

Thanks a lot!

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tomáš K
September 2015

Re: Multiple ecomm_prodid in dynamic remarketing

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee
Correct, in the shopping cart you should still pass all the products because the purchase intent signal is strong.

It's possible that tag assistant validation doesn't work for multiple products (you can report it here: https://plus.google.com/communities/105448214237192581344) but you should still be able to verify your product matches on single product pages.

Also, you can get a much fuller picture of how well your product ids from the tag match the product ids in the feed within AdWords under Shared Library > Audiences > Tag details

View solution in original post

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Tomas,

Thanks for the email, and welcome to the AdWords Community!

I have escalated this issue to our team, and will get back to you as soon as I have updates from their end. Thanks for your patience while we look into this issue!

Best,
Elizabeth

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you! Looking forward for any help.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
As a side note: I would really not recommend passing so many product ids because the system only remembers a limited number of them for each user.
By passing so many ids from a page listing so many products, the system will forget about all the previously viewed products, including those seen on single-product pages which are likely more important (stronger purchase intent signal)

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
@Maxime T
Just wanted to jump in here to say thank you for that fantastic piece of advice. I had not even considered that.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yep, you've got a point. Although the problem still remains when multiple products are in cart, which is a strong purchase intent.

Google reps. communicate with me so I'm waiting for their response. I believe it's a bug (maybe because of GTM) because Google help has an example with multiple ecomm_prodid(s) in a JS array on cart page.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tomáš K
September 2015

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee
Correct, in the shopping cart you should still pass all the products because the purchase intent signal is strong.

It's possible that tag assistant validation doesn't work for multiple products (you can report it here: https://plus.google.com/communities/105448214237192581344) but you should still be able to verify your product matches on single product pages.

Also, you can get a much fuller picture of how well your product ids from the tag match the product ids in the feed within AdWords under Shared Library > Audiences > Tag details

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much Maxime. I'll just ignore not validated cart and remove multiple ecomm_prodid in category.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear All, Maybe it's a little bit out of the main question, but does anyone have some examples of the JS that merge single dataLayers prodids to one array with string data ? Thanks in advance for help. 

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’