AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Merchant Center - Diagnostics - Image too small

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our Merchant Center Diagnostics tab tells me that our images are too small and we have until Image too small, resolve by September 1, 2016. None of our items are clothing so the recommended size for our product images is 100x100. All of the images we send using our data feed are 300x300 so why would this warning show up on our feed and how do I get rid of it?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Merchant Center - Diagnostics - Image too small

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
If you have submitted images lower than 100* and recently changed it, allow up to 30 days for the diagnostics tab to be updated. Google does not re-crawl / check every product daily.

Make sure your categories are correct. As an aside note jewelry, watches, shoes etc are apparel. A full list is available below.
http://www.google.com/basepages/producttype/taxonomy.en-US.txt

If you have re-uploaded images with a higher pixel, than make sure it is a new filename or add a query string at the end of the image url.
For example : http://www.example.com/images/myimage.jpg?newimage=22072016

If this is not done when you have changed the image, than Google will not know you have done so.

Hope it helps.
Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Our categories are correct and none of our products fall into the apparel category. The images are the same ones we've uploaded for the last 3 or 4 months. I'm just now seeing this error message show up in our diagnostics tab.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
If you are sure that the images are all correct and have not changed in the last 30 days than I recommend contacting Google Adwords for further assistance.

Please note, not because something was submitted ages ago, means it was correct in the first place. Google does not always present all issues from the beginning. This can be due to delayed crawling, new policies etc...

Make sure that the message is not a simple notice. If it is above the graph it's a notice which every merchant gets.

Hope it helps.
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Emmanuel,
You said ... to "[...] make sure it is a new filename or add a query string at the end of the image url". I've seen this recommendation on Google's help pages. What if, I can't? I use Volusion and the URL is programmed to be the storename-category-productID. Is there a different way to get Google to crawl the new images. I've spent a couple of weeks getting new media for a lot of our clothing and I have formatted them for 800x800 ... and I'm very proud of myself Smiley Happy ... and Google hasn't touched the images. In fact, several of the images have a crawl date of August 2015!

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
I recommend contacting Volusion or the community to find out how you can change the image name. As I, unfortunately do not know. It seems very restrictive that Volusion limits it by storename-category-productID

Good Luck!

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

However there is a way to add it in the feed rules. I have not tested it. I recommend you add a new feed for testing (make sure you choose Test and not standard) Than replicate my feedrule and see the results.

2016-09-21_11-13-20.jpg

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I would never want to find myself defending Volusion but in this particular case, programming a URL and it's associated image seems somewhat logical ... although I would have liked the option to rename the product image to something meaningful to me. Nonetheless, one of your other responses triggered a thought ... just add the query string in the XML feed that Volusion produces for Google Merchant. A simple search and replace on all my images that were categorized as "too small". It worked! My images immediately disappeared from the "image too small" section.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Well ... I lied ... kinda. Adding a query string to my image URL's did get them removed from the "images too small" list ... but now they're on the "invalid images" list. <sigh>

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star

A query string does not invalidate the images. I recommend looking into other errors or warnings if any and or contact Google to clarify.

Hope it helps.