AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Limitation when subdividing by Item ID in Shopping Campaigns

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi there,

In the new Shopping Campaigns, I've setup  an Ad Group which is first divided by Brand, then by 'Custom label 1' which includes the shop category as per the website structure (not the Taxonomy category).

I then want to subdivide by Item ID, however doing so then lists all the individual products within that subdivision, showing just the ID's and not the product name - this makes it very difficult to know which products you're looking at and/or bidding on.

What would you recommend for overcoming this limitation? Would you advise I place the product name in 'Custom label 2' and subdivide by that? Or is there another approach for subdividing to each individual product in a way that includes the product names?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Christian G
September 2015

Re: Limitation when subdividing by Item ID in Shopping Campaigns

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager

Hi Christian G,

As I mentioned in my first reply, each custom label can only contain 1000 unique values. So if you have more than 1000 products, you won't have enough labels to do this.

By using the Product Type category, and using your own product type, you can essentially bid on all products individually:

womens > jumpers > red

womens > jumpers > blue

womens > jumpers > green

You can click on the speech bubble next to it and you'll see the product name. 

Kathleen

View solution in original post

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Christian G, 

I would recommend a slightly different work around for this scenario. I would suggest using the Product Type category to customise your feed. For this attribute, you can use either one of the categories defined in the Google product taxonomy, or your own category names. 

If you go with your own category names, you can make the third level categorisation as specific as you wish and containing only one product from your feed. For example:

womens > jumpers > nans favourite knit jumper

The other reason why I would not recommend using a custom label to represent each product, is because each custom label can only contain 1000 unique values. So if you have more than 1000 products, you won't have enough labels to do this.

I hope this helps,
Kathleen

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks, but I don't see how going via the Product Type category allows me to then make bids on individual products? What I'm finding frustrating is that when I go to subdivide by Item ID, the names of the products show alongside the ID's, but then once I've committed to this subdivision, only the ID's show in the Adwords interface for the products, which then makes it difficult to know how to analyse and make bids on individual products (unless I memorise which product ID's belong to which products!).
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Christian G
September 2015

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager

Hi Christian G,

As I mentioned in my first reply, each custom label can only contain 1000 unique values. So if you have more than 1000 products, you won't have enough labels to do this.

By using the Product Type category, and using your own product type, you can essentially bid on all products individually:

womens > jumpers > red

womens > jumpers > blue

womens > jumpers > green

You can click on the speech bubble next to it and you'll see the product name. 

Kathleen

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Ok thanks Kathleen.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Kathleen,

I have a similar question. We submit child & parent skus to google because our campaigns get more traction than if we just submitted parent skus. The problem is that we end up with campaigns containing up to 50k skus, or ID's within Adwords. Optimization would be streamlined if I could subdivide campaigns/ad groups/product groups on the parent sku level while maintaining the robust feed data of all skus. I thought about putting parent sku in custom label columns and subdividing by that, but as you know there's a 1000 limit per custom label. Most of our clients have up to 5-7K unique parent skus so that's not gonna work. The only other attribute that I can subdivide by is product_type. So I would essentially put the parent sku/item_group_id in the product type attribute in the feed, then subdivide by that in adwords. That way, if I changed a bid for 1 parent sku it would keep the bid the same across the child skus, yet google would still crawl the whole feed to serve the best line item as it relates to a search query. Also, my adwords accounts would have 5-7K biddable items in stead of 20-50K. Do you know if there is a limit to unique values for product_type... or any other reason this might not work? If google would allow item_group_id to have all the same capabilities as ID within Adwords, then that would solve it. Unfortunately that's not the case today.

Thanks,
Seth

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
This year-old thread has been closed to new replies.

If anyone has a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question.

This will help other forum members to both see and understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thanks!