AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords in Product Groups

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There is a "Keywords" tab in the Google Shopping campaigns and product groups. My understanding was that keywords generally don't apply to GS or product groups, so what do the keywords on this tab do?

I ask because my client primarily sells children's products but gets a lot of Google Shopping traffic for more generic terms. I would love to specify that the campaigns target children's goods but just don't know how.

Thoughts or advice on either point is appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Garrett B
September 2015

Re: Keywords in Product Groups

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Garrett B

You are correct, keywords are not used to return your ad in searches, the content of the data-feed you supply is the source of "keywords", this is why is it imperative you include only relevant and strong descriptive information within your data-feed.

The keywords tab is available within AdWords due to the negative keywords that can be applied to your Shopping Campaign(s). Which would benefit you in what you are attempting to achieve. Choose your negative keywords carefully, as you would with any other campaign.

https://support.google.com/ds/answer/4601299?hl=en

The keywords tab also allows for you to see which search terms have triggered your ad. You can do so by clicking on the keywords tab and selecting details from the drop down selection box. This will allow you a better idea of what words to avoid and which to include within your negative keywords setup.

Tom

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Garrett B
September 2015

Re: Keywords in Product Groups

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Garrett B

You are correct, keywords are not used to return your ad in searches, the content of the data-feed you supply is the source of "keywords", this is why is it imperative you include only relevant and strong descriptive information within your data-feed.

The keywords tab is available within AdWords due to the negative keywords that can be applied to your Shopping Campaign(s). Which would benefit you in what you are attempting to achieve. Choose your negative keywords carefully, as you would with any other campaign.

https://support.google.com/ds/answer/4601299?hl=en

The keywords tab also allows for you to see which search terms have triggered your ad. You can do so by clicking on the keywords tab and selecting details from the drop down selection box. This will allow you a better idea of what words to avoid and which to include within your negative keywords setup.

Tom