AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Items preemptively disapproved due to data quality violation

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just found out recently that images shouldn't be watermarked in Google Shopping so I plan on taking care of that issue. However, I have numerous items that are not watermarked and they're also disapproved for data quality. I have heard that images are not suppose to have any text on them. That is impossible for me since I sell personalized invitations, etc. and need to be able to show potential customers what finished product will look like.

If anyone out there can help me that would be great. I just did a data feed upload this morning and now have 226 items that are disapproved. Before the upload I had 0 items disapproved! 

Here is a link to one of the items in question  
https://www.festivityfavors.com/item_672/Bugs-Insects-Nature-Thank-You-Note-Cards.htm

Thank you for your help in advance. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
August 2017

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Keith,

My problem has been resolved. You should contact Google customer care either by instant chat (that's what I did at first) or via telephone. They were actually great to work with. I did have to get rid of my watermarks. I had them on over 60 of my listings but I have over 800 listings so only a small portion had watermarks. However, my listings were still being disapproved due to the fact that I had text on them. The text is necessary text because that is how the finished products look just like any personalized products so, text needs to be on there to show potential customers. I gave Google examples such as posters, t-shirts with sayings, Hallmark cards, and any personalized products such as business cards, etc. After speaking with me they realized at Google that my items should not have been disapproved and they manually went through them all and now they're all approved. The process was quick and Google was quick to respond to me either via email or phone and manually approved everything within 24 hours once I removed the watermarks on my 60+ listings. I was very impressed with the service that they provided although I still feel that I shouldn't have had to gone through this to begin with and most of the listings shouldn't have been disapproved.

Hope this helps you!

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Your product images are fine as they are part of the product. Data quality violation can mean allot of things and are not just images. I recommend going through all the separate issues in Google Merchant > Products > Feed  and Products > Diagnostics

If you have an issue you can't solve and need advice, simple post it here.

Make sure you fix all violations.

Kind regards, Emmanuel.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Emmanuel,

I've gone through diagnostics and the problem is I do not know what the violations are on some of my listings. They look to be perfectly fine. Here is another example for you. Is there anything that looks like it's a violation to you? https://www.festivityfavors.com/item_843/Elephant-Boy-Baby-Shower-Thank-You-Note-Cards.htm

I am waiting for a GOOGLE representative to get back to me on this. I believe that once I remove the watermarks on some of my images that maybe GOOGLE can manually review my listings. I just have a feeling that any text in my images are getting rejected but that is how the finished product looks, has text on it.

Thank you,

Nancy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I can not see anything wrong. I recommend waiting for Google to get back to you.

Do make sure you have no errors or warnings in the data feed or diagnostics. Any issue or combinations of issue might cause the violation. Not because there was an image violation means it's only that. So check and fix all issues.

Best of luck.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The only error I am getting is what I've posted about, items preemptively disapproved due to data quality violation, no other errors. Still waiting for Google to get back to me. Supposedly he suppose to get back to me within 24 hours and that will be today if that is the case.

Thank you so much Emmanuel!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Just heard back from GOOGLE shopping and the agent told me that items are being disapproved because they have text on them. This is ridiculous!! I sell personalized products and the finish products have text on them. He is escalating my case to a manager. I just emailed that agent as well and here is what I said:

Per our phone conversation just now, the items I sell have text on them. They don't just have just images without text. The text is essential to the items, not just an add on. If I were to take out the text in my images, it would be false advertising as I sell personalized products. Customers need to be able to see what the finished products look like. Anyone selling personalized products would need to have text incorporated into the images in order to provide a accurate sample.
According to what you're saying all of the following items below should be excluded from GOOGLE shopping since mine are being disapproved for having text on them.

Hallmark Cards
Business Cards
T-Shirts with sayings on them
Posters with text
Any kind of signs

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have had the same thing happen today, the only thing I can see wrong with our images is that the actual product has text on it

Here are two examples:

http://www.boundtoimpress.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=90_91&products_id=902

http://www.boundtoimpress.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=172_189&products_id=242...

Both of these legitimately have text on the actual product, and all we can assume is that Google's somewhat dumb AI is detecting this text as a watermark.

Please Google you must fix this urgently, you are losing revenue and so are we due to this ill thought out policy.

We will be seeking legal advise on this matter counting the impact from today.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
August 2017

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Keith,

My problem has been resolved. You should contact Google customer care either by instant chat (that's what I did at first) or via telephone. They were actually great to work with. I did have to get rid of my watermarks. I had them on over 60 of my listings but I have over 800 listings so only a small portion had watermarks. However, my listings were still being disapproved due to the fact that I had text on them. The text is necessary text because that is how the finished products look just like any personalized products so, text needs to be on there to show potential customers. I gave Google examples such as posters, t-shirts with sayings, Hallmark cards, and any personalized products such as business cards, etc. After speaking with me they realized at Google that my items should not have been disapproved and they manually went through them all and now they're all approved. The process was quick and Google was quick to respond to me either via email or phone and manually approved everything within 24 hours once I removed the watermarks on my 60+ listings. I was very impressed with the service that they provided although I still feel that I shouldn't have had to gone through this to begin with and most of the listings shouldn't have been disapproved.

Hope this helps you!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, I have already reached out to them, this time in writing as I spoke to them a month ago when the first warning came through but they couldn't tell me why some of the listings had been flagged. I can certainly see some that have text, although the text is there for a reason as many of our products are very difficult to take pictures of (eg clear plastic).

No doubt they will be getting a bunch of complaints over this as it's something new.

Will wait to see what they come back with thanks for your update.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm sure that you're correct about them getting lots of complaints because when you think about it probably most items on Google Shopping have some sort of text on them. I would contact them again. Best of luck to you! I know it's very frustrating. I was up in arms last week.