AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Item requires a GTIN for Google Shopping

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

We carry some big name brands that are requiring the UPC or GTIN but the products do not have one. Here is an example Schlage Commercial MPN # ND80BDATH613

We carry thousands of Schlage commercial products that fall into this category. What can we do if a GTIN or UPC is required but the manufacture does not have one?

Re: Item requires a GTIN for Google Shopping

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike,

Need not to worry. There are many manufactures who don't provide GTIN or UPC which is required by the Google. But to make it easier for the advertiser, google say if your product has neither a GTIN nor MPN (for example, made-to-order or handmade items), set ‘identifier exists’ to 'FALSE' to indicate that you have no identifier for the product.

Also,

When no GTIN is assigned, submit unique product identifiers using these attributes:

1. 'brand' required
  2. mpn' required

Follow the link for in detail info. https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/160161?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Mike P,

Are you receiving warnings in the Merchant Centre for those products? If so, that means that others have submitted GTINs for those products and so the assumption is they exist as another merchant has been able to find them.

If you aren't being flagged, there is the Identifier_Exists attribute which can be set as "False" to indicate no GTIN exists for this product. As Pushpendra also mentioned, please continue to submit BRAND & MPNs where they exist.

All the best,

B.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Mike -

I posted about this here:

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Shopping-and-Merchant/How-to-contest-GTIN-UPC-value...

Essentially you, the advertiser / dealer, can do nothing.

You need to have the marketing & legal people at your manufacturer talk to Google. I've done that for 2 of my manufacturers, no outcomes to share yet though.