AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Item requires a GTIN for Google Shopping

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

''Hi there,

I've recently taken on a new job and I need to takeover Google Shopping and it's just problems after problems. The first problem I am having is that the products on our feed need GTIN numbers (we use OpenCart - online store management system - it can be very limited to what it does).

Merchant Centre shows 'Item requires a GTIN, resolve by 16 May 2016' on all our products. As I am UK based I assume that we need EAN for our UK products and UPC number for US imported products (apparently there's a tariff code for US imports). My problem is that we have 846 products on Google Shopping that all require 'GTIN' codes.

We use big companies such as 3M and sell tapes and adhesives etc so tracking down these codes are proving to be difficult - quite a few are imported from US. I believe our products will start getting suspended before I am able to singularly add each 'GTIN' number for each product. 

I have previously read 'Google requires at least two of the following three attributes for almost every product - GTIN, Brand, MPN). However when I click onto one of the products that have the error there is a MPN number and a Brand name - so I don't understand that.

So, do I need to find an EAN and UPC code for each product for Google Shopping? Is that all I need to enter into the 'GTIN' section on our website?

Please shed any light onto resolving this! Smiley Happy

I appreciate all help!!!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chloe S
March 2016

Re: Item requires a GTIN for Google Shopping

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello Chloe, I suggest deleting all products that are in violation until you have collected all the required data before you are suspended.

If a manufacturer has assigned a GTIN (UPC, EAN, IBAN) than you as a merchant have to supply this value. If the product is a designated brand, than you have to assign that value.

You can find EAN's from the packaging or using services such as http://www.ean-search.org/ean-database-api.html

So in short yes, you need to have the GTIN values.

As to where you need to add it is the data feed, the website does not need to have these values visible. So if you are using a plugin than you need to find out where you need to add this value.
Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chloe S
March 2016

Re: Item requires a GTIN for Google Shopping

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello Chloe, I suggest deleting all products that are in violation until you have collected all the required data before you are suspended.

If a manufacturer has assigned a GTIN (UPC, EAN, IBAN) than you as a merchant have to supply this value. If the product is a designated brand, than you have to assign that value.

You can find EAN's from the packaging or using services such as http://www.ean-search.org/ean-database-api.html

So in short yes, you need to have the GTIN values.

As to where you need to add it is the data feed, the website does not need to have these values visible. So if you are using a plugin than you need to find out where you need to add this value.
Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’