AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Item disapproved, Item requires a GTIN

Not applicable
# 1
Not applicable

Hello,

I wonder if someone can assist me with this challenge thrown up by Google.

I have 400 - 500 items from the same manufacturer that have all been disapproved because there is no GTIN submitted. There is no GTIN submitted because there is no GTIN, confirmed by the manufacturer. I have submitted Brand and MPN for these products as suggested is the correct course of action in the available documentation with no change to the status of the items, I have resubmitted the feed to try to trigger a change but with no luck.

The solutions I have seen to this issue, often marked as the best answer, seem to suggest not providing brand and MPN, even if they exist, but instead submitting Identifier_exists "no" in the GTIN field. This does not seem the best solution to me as it seems to be suggesting making a policy violation is the answer.

The items are being successfully advertised by another company and ebay but I am unable to spot in the code hints as to how they have achieved this.

Any help with this would be greatly received.

2 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Please be aware of the difference between an error and a warning. Check your diagnostics and see what the warning type is, than follow the recommendations below.

If it's an error, than the only solution is submit identifier_exists with the value of no. Than do not submit Brand, GTIN or MPN.

A GTIN is required when Google has detected other merchants submitting GTIN's or depending on the brand name. If this is incorrect, ask the manufacturer to submit a manufacturer data feed. This than might resolve the issue, but is not guaranteed.

If it's a warning, you can ignore it and continue submitting Brand and MPN.

A warning is there to improve the ranking, impressions etc...

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Re: Item disapproved, Item requires a GTIN

Not applicable
# 3
Not applicable

Hi Emmanuel,

Thanks for your reply. The items are definitely disapproved, definitely an error not a warning.

Error.JPG

Below is the information that suggests that the correct answer is to submit Brand and MPN with no GTIN. [Source: https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/160161?hl=en]

Products without a GTIN

Some products don’t have a GTIN assigned, and so you don’t need to submit one. However, if the product does have a GTIN assigned and you don’t submit it, then the product could be disapproved.

For these products, submit the following attributes:

• brand
  • mpn

Surely with this information provided there should be a warning as a worst case not an error and disapproval?

Due to the way my Webshop/sales software work I am unable to remove the Brand and MPN for these products only.

I will just have to ask for each of the items to be manually reviewed.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You can also contact Google directly : https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/7218750

You can also use supplement feeds to make changes or use feed rules.

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/7450276?hl=en

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/7439058?hl=en

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Not applicable
# 5
Not applicable

After a call to Google I have managed to ascertain what may well be the answer to this issue, thanks for the number Emmanuel.

I have been advised that I need to submit

<g:identifier_exists>FALSE</g:identifier_exists>

for each of the items that do not have a GTIN as well as the MPN and Brand.

Onward to feed rules...

Not applicable
# 6
Not applicable

Update: The solution from Google, adding the <g:identifier_exists>FALSE</g:identifier_exists> to the lines that do not have a GTIN but have a Brand & MPN. So far this has added a warning "Product identifiers provided but 'identifier_exists' set to false." for the products in question and they are still showing as disapproved with the error that they need a GTIN.

I will continue to update this

Not applicable
# 7
Not applicable

Further to my previous update...

Google have now received a copy of a letter from the manufacturer stating they do not use GTIN for their products. Google have acknowledged this and asked me to request a manual review of every item from that manufacturer (a few hundred) there is no bulk process.

I have requested these reviews but have not managed to get some of the items approved. Downside is there is no indication of how much longer this process will take or whether I will have to go through the manual review process every time I want to add a new product from this manufacturer.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

about the only way to avoid the manual review

is to submit identifier_exists with a value of no

and do no submit any mpn, nor brand, nor gtin,

at all, for such item-offers.

any brand or mpn related information may be

added near the end of the description and the

data will be indexed for search.

be certain not to include any merchant brand or mpn/sku data.

otherwise, written information from a manufacturer

in no way avoids the possibility of an item-by-item

manual review process, for existing, updated, or

newly added items, that include an mpn and brand

but without a valid gs1 gtin bar-code, stamped on the

product/package, at the factory, by the manufacturer.