AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Is the ranking of PLAs on Google search different to the ranking of products on Google shopping pages?

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

This has come up a few times recently with advertisers we have spoken with on the phone so Kathleen has an answer for us!

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hannah
September 2015

Re: Is the ranking of PLAs on Google search different to the ranking o

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi all!

Great question Hannah!

In some circumstances, you may notice differences in how your products are serving or ranking on Google with PLAs versus Google Shopping. For example, you may see your items showing/ranking on the former but not showing/ranking on the latter. This behavior may happen, and could vary, based on several factors. Reasons why this may happen can include:

• The available real estate is different between the two properties. On Google.com, there is less space to show PLAs while the Shopping property has more space.

• The auction dynamics can be different between the two properties and, as such, the results may also be slightly different.

• For some queries, Google Shopping may present results via a catalog (specific product page) instead of individual merchant listings while Google does not display these catalogs.

Improvements are continually being made to the system and, over time, these improvements can help further unify the results between the two properties but, on occasion, differences between results may be seen.

I hope that helps all you Shopaholics out there!

Kathleen

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hannah
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi all!

Great question Hannah!

In some circumstances, you may notice differences in how your products are serving or ranking on Google with PLAs versus Google Shopping. For example, you may see your items showing/ranking on the former but not showing/ranking on the latter. This behavior may happen, and could vary, based on several factors. Reasons why this may happen can include:

• The available real estate is different between the two properties. On Google.com, there is less space to show PLAs while the Shopping property has more space.

• The auction dynamics can be different between the two properties and, as such, the results may also be slightly different.

• For some queries, Google Shopping may present results via a catalog (specific product page) instead of individual merchant listings while Google does not display these catalogs.

Improvements are continually being made to the system and, over time, these improvements can help further unify the results between the two properties but, on occasion, differences between results may be seen.

I hope that helps all you Shopaholics out there!

Kathleen

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hannah wrote:

This has come up a few times recently with advertisers we have spoken with on the phone so Kathleen has an answer for us!

Hi Hannah! I note that there was not an option for me to reply to Kathleens response  for her solution to PLAs variations in Google seach resullts. I can somewhat absorb her explanation but what I cannot understand is why that previous PLAs upload Files that appeared in the right categories search as stipulated per our Google Product Type descriptions, now appears under irrelevant search categories. Let me point out that some of these items that I refer to had no txt adjustments to Google Product Type made over the past 2 to 3 months.

Kaylen Reddy

Administrator

www.ozdiodes.com.au

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi Kaylen, 

I'm not sure I understand your issue entirely but it sounds like you have added a Google Product Category for each of your products that maybe wasn't entirely accurate so your PLAs are being matched to irrelevant search queries. 

If this is the case, I would suggest uploading an updated feed with a more accurate Product Category for each product. 

Let us know if you still have questions about this. 

Hannah

Re: PLAs Campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Hannah

Many thanks for your prompt reply. Yes, you are correct in your understanding of my issue however we have done a more accurate feed upload recently with a more precise feed description on each category products under your Google Teams recommendation, “Google Product Type” and “Google Product Category”. I must admit it was a much more successful upload than our previous encounters with just a small percentage of errors, however some products are still displaced, i.e. items are loaded under our technical Product Name rather than the ‘’ Google Product Type” as suggested by your team and loaded accordingly.  These technical Product Names are not widely used by the general public searching for LED PRODUCTS and are only identifiable by electricians, etc. in the field.

Nevertheless, I have sent snap shots of several items (Incorrectly placed) in your feedback section with comments under our PLAs Campaign Account.

Hopefully someone at Google does look at it and get back to me or rectify the issue.

Kind regards

Kaylen Reddy

Administrator

Oz Diodes

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Sounds like you're nearly there in resolving the issue Kaylen. 

If you are in contact with our support team already about this I would advise continuing to work with them. They will be able to look at the details of your data feed and advise you on specifically what you need to change. 

In terms of reaching the public vs people in your field, I would advise being as detailed as possible in your product title and description. Using more commonly used terms to describe your product will help our system make a more accurate match between your products and user's search terms. 

Let me know if you still need help with the specifics and I can get someone to look into it for you. 

Hannah

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

more generally, be certain accurate attribute names are submitted.

google_product_category is for an exact google-defined taxonomy value;
product_type may contain your own category values;
of course, both should be relevant for the physical item.

other attribute-names submitted for taxonomy and category related
information that are not listed under google's defined attributes,
will likely not yield the desired or optimal results.
https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/1344057

also, some categories may be influenced by global-trade-data --
be certain any global-trade-data (mpn, gtin, brand) values that are
submitted are accurate and assigned by the brand-manufacturer
to the exact item being advertised.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

According to me both are different because in search result may be based on google adword algo becasue one can bid on products to get good rank but in case of google shopping no one can bid, it may be based on organic search algorithm.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It is different but not at the extremes. The point is that it depends on the keywords used for searching that help to come out with better results. Hence if you are ought to go for PLAs make sure you choose the right keywords.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

please note that product-listing-ads do not use keywords.
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6080607

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3455564