AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5K members online now
5K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Invalid microdata for price information on product landing page - Google bot ignores URL parameters

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Our website is multi-currency and we have multiple Google Shopping feeds for each currency. We pass a URL parameter in our Google Shopping feed product links, so that products load and display the correct currency, for example:

https://www.oursite.com/1234-widget-product.asp?currency=EUR&utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=pp...

This is necessary since our website has one domain and we can only tell the page to load in a specific currency with a URL parameter (how else if we only have one site with multiple currencies that load on-the-fly according to a URL parameter?)

When Google visits this URL, it seems to take the default currency, which is GBP, and we get a warning in Google shopping saying "Invalid microdata for price information on product landing page", and all of our products are affected. When we tested the above URL with the Google Rich Snippets Testing Tool, it totally ignores any parameters (such as ?currency=EUR).

We do a redirect when ?currency is passed, as this updates the page with the correct currency and correct totals etc. However, Google does not process the redirect and so the warnings in Merchant Centre show that the prices and currencies do not match.

Has anyone experienced this, and is there a fix? Google should follow the redirect and act like a regular web browser.

Thanks,

Eva

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eva L
May 2016

Re: Invalid microdata for price information on product landing page - Google bot ignores URL paramet

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Eva.

The shopping policy for landing pages over here https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/4752265?hl=en says the following:

"Google Shopping requires that after clicking a product listing, a user should end up on a landing page that works properly and displays a product offer that is essentially identical to the product listing you submitted to Google in your product data, regardless of the user’s device, browser, location, cookies, your ad targeting choices, or any other consideration. After reaching your landing page, users must be able to return to the previous page where they clicked your product listing by clicking their browser’s back button once."

I think you should point the feed product URL to the final page and avoid redirecting, if possible. I'm not 100% sure this is the reason, but the quoted text can be interpreted, in my opinion, in a way that requires you to use the very final URL.

I had the same situation for a customer in Switzerland in the past and although the prices were the same we had four different language parameters (we had EN as well beside FR, IT and DE) but we used a URL that contained the language parameter in the URL and the webserver served the correct language without any redirect.

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eva L
May 2016

Re: Invalid microdata for price information on product landing page - Google bot ignores URL paramet

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Eva.

The shopping policy for landing pages over here https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/4752265?hl=en says the following:

"Google Shopping requires that after clicking a product listing, a user should end up on a landing page that works properly and displays a product offer that is essentially identical to the product listing you submitted to Google in your product data, regardless of the user’s device, browser, location, cookies, your ad targeting choices, or any other consideration. After reaching your landing page, users must be able to return to the previous page where they clicked your product listing by clicking their browser’s back button once."

I think you should point the feed product URL to the final page and avoid redirecting, if possible. I'm not 100% sure this is the reason, but the quoted text can be interpreted, in my opinion, in a way that requires you to use the very final URL.

I had the same situation for a customer in Switzerland in the past and although the prices were the same we had four different language parameters (we had EN as well beside FR, IT and DE) but we used a URL that contained the language parameter in the URL and the webserver served the correct language without any redirect.

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Calin,

Thanks for reply, and I agree with what you say - we thought the same. We will try and rejig things to lose the redirect. A good way to test is with the snippets tool or "fetch as Google" in WMT.

Thanks again.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Best of luck, Eva.