AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Impressions without ANY keywords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm new to this all. I've got a fledgling online t-shirt shop, and I've done my best to use a manual Google Sheets feed to get my products set up. I'm not sure if I've done so in a way likely to maximize the algorithms, but generally speaking, it does seem to be working.

After a dormant and worrisome first few days, my campaign has started to get some impressions. Very few... only about 45 total over about the last week, but 19 of those were yesterday, so hopefully that means things are beginning to work.

The problem is I don't have ANY keywords. And every search I try in the "Ad Preview and Diagnosis" section tells me that "(my) ad is not showing." I've even used terms extremely specific to my shirts. Terms where my shirt is the first regular search result, and no other shopping results appear, but mine isn't there either.

So not only are obvious keywords not returning my shopping ads, but I can't figure out what keywords are returning the 49 impressions that I do have.

Does this make any sense? Is there something I can do to improve/solve this?

Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

What is the campaign type? If it is Search Network Only then you can see what searches your ad has appeared on by navigating to the Search Terms report (more info here). It's possible that you are showing ads outside of the Google SERP if the campaign type is not Search Network Only.

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Top Contributor, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Impressions without ANY keywords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the quick response. Here's what's in the settings... I'm not 100% sure what it means, but this was most likely the default and/or recommended setting when I set the campaign up.

Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 10.55.50 AM.png 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Using the Ad Preview for Google Shopping will not work, this is only for web search ads. The messages you get in Ad Preview are only for Text ads not for Shopping Ads.

Make sure that the title of the product correctly describes the product and that you have added all recommended attributes such as color, size, age group, gender, category etc... Adding all of this will increase the quality of the feed and thus result in better ranking and more traffic.

For the first 2 to 3 weeks, I always recommend having a higher bidding, so that you can quickly collect data and make the right decisions based on the data. Having a low bid will prolong this process to months, which will be too long. And will result in a lot of wasted opportunities.

Hope this helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks! Where do I manage my actual bid? I've set a relatively high budget for now just to get started, but I don't know where to manage the bid itself.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hey Justin,

I misunderstood that this was a Shopping campaign. My recommendation is still the same, view the Search Terms report to see which searches triggered the impressions. I also agree with @Emmanuel F that you should use higher bidding.

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Top Contributor, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

You can change bids by going to your Campaign > Ad Group > then depending on your subdivisions, do the following.

If there is no arrow down next to the top hierarchy than click on Max CPC column and change the bid.

If there is an arrow to view more subdivisions than go to the lowest level and change the Max CPC there.

Hope this helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’