AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Important Shipping Updates for Google Shopping Australia

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Just received that email from Google and am scratching my head by looking at the available shipping options/rules we have for Australia.

Can't we have carrier calculated rate like they offer for US merchants? This would be the only feasible option for the majority of Google Shopping merchants in Australia. Using the rate table or rules is simply not an option, considering the sheer volume of postcodes we have in Australia and the fact that most us get charged by the weight of the parcel & receiver's location.

Using generic carrier calculated rates from say Australia Post, Star Track, Toll would be the easiest option. Certainly the shipping costs wouldn't be 100% accurate, but it would still be the best possible outcome.

The only other alternative is to leave google shopping.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Important Shipping Updates for Google Shopping Australia

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Vlad, 

Welcome to the AdWords Community and thanks for your feedback. I will pass this on to the right teams to see if there are other options available. 

In the meanwhile thanks for your patience and do keep visiting the Community.

Best,

Mini

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mini

I too am struggling with this concept, I have contacted Adwords by phone twice and have had no success at all. it seems somebody at Google has decided that this is a good idea but hasn't thought about how to implement it at all.

We need a range of carrier calculated rates to have any hope in providing any sort of accurate shipping. without this any shipping info would be wildly inaccurate and pointless.

Google's current recommend solution is to used custom rates, this would mean building a table that contains over 500 weigh ranges (1kg increments) and every postcode in Australia and then a price per kg? as I understand it.

Seems a bit like trying to reinvent the wheel when in 2 seconds you can query virtually and freight carriers API and get an accurate result to the cent?

I have asked for guidance from Google but the custom rate table is the only thing they come back with.

Cheers

Peter

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager

Hi All,

I'm working with the product team on this feedback. In the meanwhile, can you let me know who are the dominant head carriers in Australia and any other details pertaining to these carriers? 

Thanks,

Mini

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Mini

here is a great list from EBAY that covers off most of the majors carriers  with details etc.

http://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/postage-and-shipping/services

I would like to at least  E-GO.COM.AU, TNT, TOLL NQX, COURIERS PLEASE. NORTHLINE and ALLIED EXPRESS. along with major aggregators that cover off most of the couriers. examples would include TRANSDIRECT, BAGGAGE FREIGHT and MEEP MEEP.

let em know if I can be of any assitance moving forward.

Cheers

Peter

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Mini

Is anything cheapening here? I have sent you several requests for an update but have not heard back from you.

the deadline for adding shipping draws closer and Google seems to show no interest in helping with this problem they have created.

Chees

Peter

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
Hi Peter,

I forwarded all the carrier information and feedback you shared with me to the product team. They must be looking into this request. However, I do not have any updates from their side as yet. I will update this thread if I hear anything.

Thanks for your patience,
Mini

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mini,

Can you please keep us updated and keep on pushing the product team to come up with some kind of acceptable solution to this problem they've created.

Regards,
Vlad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mini,
Not trying to push you, just chiming in. This new shipping requirement is a little vague from the technical standpoint and I also would like to hear a result on Vlad's question. I need to start developing a solution for my merchants using each merchants shipping options (they all vary, some have custom courier rates). Obviously it seems adding every possibility to the feed files for each product is out of the question from everyone's perspective... Google included. The amount of unused data it would generate would easily exceed the product data many times over. Im just trying to work out what needs to be done for compliance before I start work at the code level.

If developers only include a few locations per shipping method (per merchant) to cover some of the major destinations (say... Australian capital cities only) will that satisfy Google's requirements without any negative impact on product listings?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

shipping may be either (a) exactly accurate or (b) an overestimate for
the average delivery rate that users within the (registered data-feed's)
target-country would pay.

shipping may be set in the account or submitted per item --
however, any submitted shipping for an item will override
all account-level shipping settings, for that item.

generally, only the lowest rate will be displayed --
based on a user's current calculated or set location.

there is no requirement to submit all possible rates
that might be selected on the website -- currently,
google-shopping (product-listing-ads) has no feature
to select any optional shipping rates or methods.

this discussion is mainly about selecting carrier-calculated shipping, as the
lowest-rate option set in the account -- and the associated (new) attributes
required for a carrier-calculated option -- which is currently available only
if the u.s. is the (registered feed's) target-country.