AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

2.7K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Images too small

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I need help with how to solve an issue with images in Google Adwords Shopping campaign. I have 5 images that have been disapproved as being too small. I read the instructions that images should be at least 250 x 250 pixels and cannot be larger than 64 megapixels. I have updated my pictures several times and they are still disapproved.  For example, one image is 356 pixels x 500 pixels, why is this not accepted?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Images too small

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Have you changed the filename? If you have not changed the file name Google will not detect it has changed.

Simply ether change the file name or add a random query string

Tip : always submit square images, not rectangles.

Hope it helps

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Images too small

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Could you clarify what you said about having to rename the image? I am simply giving Google the url to the main product images on our store so don't really want to have to rename files just to satisfy Google. I assumed that if I deleted the product completely from merchants centre and then re-submitted it, the resized image would be re-checked. If not, then why is Google keeping a record of the image details for products after they have been deleted?

Thanks

Images too small

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Renaming the file forces a re crawl, keeping the same image file name can take an extremely long time for Google to update, maybe months or more.

I recommend asking Google for your other questions : https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/7217785

From experience, you resolve allot of issues quicker by following my recommendation. If you don't you will be stuck in limbo spending allot of time resolving this issue.

I'm merely trying to help.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Images too small

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have had a number of problems with this.  It seems that the system somehow gets "stuck" and refuses to recognise the updated ones.  I have tried renaming them, I even tried removing them from the feed for several weeks to see if this would force a recrawl but with no success.  I have 5 on one shop disapproved and 1 on another.  Strangely the exact same pictures work on the other websites (one website is a slimmed-down more targeted version of the other).  I haven't found a real solution to the problem unfortunately.  The only thing that seems to work is when I duplicate the product by feeding it from the other (approved version) website and wipe out the disapproved one.  With my site hoster I can do this, and this is the only thing that seems to work.

Images too small

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

google may keep a copy of previously crawled images for six-weeks or so.

to force a re-crawl/re-copy, either a rename or url-parameter is required --
moving the image to a different location on the same server may also help;
otherwise, image file-names and url/link locations should normally not change.

google may take 72-hours or sometimes longer, before crawling, caching, and
displaying updated images in the merchant-center, even with a name change --
depending on the submitted item details, website details, crawl-rate settings
within the google-search-console, and other related factors.

generally, check the server's log files for entries from googlebot-image,
googlebot, adsbot-google, or google's other related user-agent crawlers --
about three-days after updated images have been submitted to be certain
that google is crawling the website and the site is responding properly to
all google's crawl requests.

if a disapproval is for multiple issues, google may take awhile

to recheck all issues, within the submitted data and on the

website, to flag or un-flag the item with an updated status.

as an aside, having the same similar items submitted from multiple
sites/shop-venues, for shopping-ads within the same target-country
is generally a policy violation and grounds for disapproval or a
suspension from the program, at any time.