AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Images - Dark Background and with text - Confused by contradictory information

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have not yet set up a Google Shopping Campaign - I want to clear up these issues before I do so,

1. images with dark (black) backgrounds, and ...

2. images with text

I Have read a few posts and articles, of varying dates and different sources including but not solely in this community, which generally state that images with dark color backgrounds are not accepted and neither are images that contain text.

I am confused primarily because I have a few shops in Etsy.com and I participate in their advertising program with Google Shopping. I nominate which products to include, agree to pay a CPC and Etsy does the rest (submits the ads to Google Shopping).

ALL but a very few of my 300+ products have images that have a black background and contain text and yet these images continue to appear without issue via Etsy's Google Shopping Ads submissions. I have attached examples so you get to see what I am talking about. I now want to use these same images which are on standalone websites of mine as part of my advertising campaign(s). So should I expect any issues?, and if so why?, given the Etsy example above. (I am hoping it is not one set of rules for some and not all).

cheers,

Mike

image examples

Harmony-ball-pendant-758.gifHarmony-ball-pendant-553__001.gifHarmony-ball-pendant-839.gif

3 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Harmony,

Text in the images (unless it is on a packaged product, say a sack of rice) is not allowed.

White or transparent backgrounds are "best practice" but dark backgrounds are not disallowed as far as I can tell.

However, as you say, Etsy customers get away with it text in images, and I've noticed the same with eBay. I doubt there is an official policy favoring products that arrive via those channels. 

Here are the guidelines:

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6324350?hl=en&ref_topic=6324338

Re: Images - Dark Background and with text - Confused by contradictory information

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

google now divides most specification policies
into minimum-requirements and best-practices.

images with a solid white or transparent background is a best-practice.

images that (a) contain any promotional text or element,
or (b) contain any other content that covers a product --
do not meet the minimum-requirements, are policy

violations, and grounds for disapproval, at any time.

images that do not follow the best-practices are suboptimal and may result
in lower quality and poor performance within the ad-auctions, over time.

meeting the quality standards is a general policy for all submitted data --
generally, an image or item that either (a) does not follow a requirement,
or (b) is of poor quality with respect to following any or all best-practices,
may be flagged for disapproval, at any time.

as an aside, duplicate physical listings or duplicate content
are also both policy violations and grounds for disapproval.

generally, the same physical inventory item may be listed only
once or may otherwise be flagged for abusing the ad-network,
at any time -- for example, a physical inventory item may be
listed from a private website or a marketplace, but not both.

as to seeing items as shopping-ads that are violating the policies,
google's automated policy detection systems are simply inexact --
potential policy violations may be reported directly to google.

that said, this is mainly a peer-to-peer forum --
google is the final arbiter of all their policies.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the detailed response -is there any clarification to the very 'simple' guideline quoted?

"images that (a) contain any promotional text or element,
or (b) contain any other content that covers a product --
do not meet the minimum-requirements, are policy

violations, and grounds for disapproval, at any time."

Looking at the example images posted,  the text is neither covering the product (it is on the background) nor is it promotional (it merely states a fact or facts about/description of the item) - I know this is a tough question however in your opinion would the images submitted as examples be in violation to the policy/guidelines?

Can one submit images for approval to Google prior to running an ad or do you simply create the ad and wait for approval/disapproval? - my concern with the latter is if violations (unintended) were to jeopardize an Adwords account status.

cheers, Mike

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Simple Guide : Remove all text from the image, if possible have a white background.

Guidelines : https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6324350?hl=en&ref_topic=6324338

No you can not request a pre approval. Approvals are done when submitting a live feed.

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’