AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

How to trigger short tail keywords via shopping campaigns.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

My Adwords shopping campaigns are not able to pick short tail and generic keywords like buy shoes, buy online shoes, online shoes. My ads are visible on brand keywords like puma shoes,  buy puma shoes etc. Can anyone please tell how to trigger ads from generic keywords for branded products.

I am advertising for branded shoes and also want my ads to appear on keywords that contain no brand name.

Note: I am already using generic keywords like buy shoes, online shoes etc in feed description. I am using Google spreadsheet as feed.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to trigger short tail keywords via shopping campaigns.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Only the title is used to generate keyword relevance. The description might too, but maybe at a 0.00000000001% Don't bother improving the description, just make sure it's relevant.

The title is where you want to focus on.

If you are going to target generic and branded keywords, setup an effective campaign by segregating it into two campaigns one with high priority and one with medium. Than add branded negative keywords in high priority. This forces the generic keywords to be in the high priority campaign, while branded in medium. Allows you to improve your account much better.

Hope it helps.
Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Emmanuel,

I have already done this (2 separate campaigns and 2nd with branded negative keywords) but no solution. Also when I search generic keywords, other advertiser's ads are visible. Don't know they are doing this.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Kanishtha,

If you find that your ads don’t appear for a search you think is relevant, it could be for a few reasons. It could be that Google doesn’t think your products match the search query so the ads never enter the auction, or if they do enter the auction but still get few queries it could be because the relevance or bid is too low. As with all other AdWords ads, these are two main factors that determine ad rank.

If your ads are getting few or no impressions, it’s time to optimize your feed for four key attributes: Title, Description, Unique Product Identifiers, and Google Product Category. Providing accurate information for these attributes is critical to Google serving your products appropriately.

The titles and descriptions are your chance to highlight the keywords you think are relevant, and the product category and correct unique product identifiers like brand and MPN or, ideally, a GTIN (unique product identifier); let Google map their keyword lists to the products in your feed. The Merchant Feed Optimization section below explains how to ensure you are providing Google with the proper information.

If you have optimized the feed and feel your ads are still not showing enough, it could be because they rank too low. You can find out if the ranking factors like bid or relevance are an issue by looking at the benchmark data Google shows next to each product group. Benchmark CTR and benchmark average CPC data are new columns you can enable in Shopping campaigns.

Here are some best practices for your Merchant Feed.

1. Optimize The Title In The Merchant Feed

2. Optimize The Description In The Merchant Feed
3. Use Correct Product Identifiers
4. Use The Correct Google Product Category
5. Submit A Special Offer With A Promotion Feed

Please find below the screenshot for optimize the keywords from SQR.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByPz51L7FejLMmlyRnQ0WlBhTlk/view?usp=sharing

I hope this will help you.

Thanks,

Anand

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have already implemented above 5 points. My bid is already high. My ads are properly visible on branded keywords like puma shoes, buy puma shoes etc. I want to show them on non brand keywords.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

As @Anand Kumar mentioned there are allot of elements to be considered when trying to get impressions, the biggest contributer is ranking. When you say show I'm hoping you do not mean that you visually check all search terms in Google Shopping as that is a very bad habit which will reduce your quality score. Every time an ad is shown and not clicked on it reduces the CTR.

Instead us Google Adwords Data.

So are you telling me you get 0 impressions on buy shoes?

That to me sounds like you have done something wrong, check you did not add it as a negative keyword to the high priority campaign. Or maybe you did not set the multi campaign up correctly.

Recheck all account settings and ensure the high priority has the negative keywords for branded search terms, and not the other way around.

Also ensure no negative keywords are in the medium or low priority campaign that has the generic keywords.

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’