AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

How to edit/remove 'shopping/rating' review?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
NOTE: I appreciate that this is a Business Community Forum, and I am asking from the point of view of a customer.  The question was initially asked on the Google Search forum, and I was directed here.

I made a purchase from a UK web store (eBuyer), and was prompted if I would leave a review.  I received an email from gcr-noreply@google.com (Google Customer Reviews) and completed a review, giving a mediocre score.
This was based on the (silly) password reset process requiring a DOB, and the subsequent attempts to phone customer service.  However, eBuyer phoned me because of the missed calls, and I am impressed (never had a company phone me back, especially without leaving a message).
I would like to increase my scoring, but I cannot find out how to edit the review.

All my google results point to Google Maps (Your Contributions>Reviews) but I am very unclear if this is actually where reviews are associated if you receive a direct email from google.
A question on this forum also directs to the same 'solution'

NB My review is not showing under Google Maps, although I do have other reviews which were added when prompted by Maps after visiting various places.  I believe I have accepted other invites for a review (online retailers, not a physical visit).  None of these reviews are shown.

If it helps identify the review platform, the actual title of the email was "How was your shopping experience at Ebuyer.com?".

I am guessing that reviews of this type are returned by Google Search, not Google Maps ?!??!?!?!?!

****This may be an important distinction, and Google should make it very clear to customers how they can amend or delete a review of this nature, which may become outdated due to changes in circumstance/point of view/business interaction.

I believe this is not only important for the customer, who should have full ownership of their comments, but also the business, who may work hard to improve an experience. 

NB If I reopen the original email, and choose a higher star rating from the content of the email, it simply opens a webpage thanking me for my review (www.google.com/shopping/ratings/).

How do I edit my 'Google Customer Review'?
How (where) can I view my own reviews of this type (as opposed to Google Maps reviews)?

As I am here, I might as well add my long (years) standing question about the full google account name being shown against all public google content. 
(I don't know if my name is associated with this review, as it would be under Google Maps Review).

Why should my full name be used against a review (or any other Google content.  It is interesting that this forum only uses an initial for my surname, which is a step in the right direction, but why not use the Nickname I have selected within my 'About Me' page?)
I have asked this many times, and have had no clear answer other than to give a false name in my account.
Why should I have to do this?  I should be able to choose my Nickname for public postings (but that only appears to be relevant for email).  NB I know I can select (IMO, a rather pointless) combination of my real name and my nickname.
Google should protect my privacy.  If there is suspected miss-use , have a process to open a dialogue between parties.
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chris K
1 month ago

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Just wanted to give an update in case someone else has a similar experience.

The retailer has come back and confirmed, as expected, they have no direct contact with Google.  They have however said there are two type of review (as suspected).  They directed me to a google search of their company, displaying the review (stars) in the search result.  Clicking on the word 'Rating' (shown in grey, next to the stars) gives more detail.  Selecting LEARN MORE opens an adwords FAQ

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375474

The 'Google Customer Reviews' link answers that the 'service' is directly related to creating a Merchant Center account, being the point at which the merchant chooses to opt into Google Reviews from Merchant Center programs.

(it is a shame that Google does not take part in this forum, as it appears to be the obvious place to get the answer).

Additional information: I expected to click on the star ratings within the Review Summary screen, to view all the comments for the selected rating.  This has no effect.  You have to select the Review Provider (left hand side of page; Reevo, Google, Reviews etc).  Once the provider has been chosen, you can select the rating and read the comments.  I find this unintuitive, but I can imagine at a technical level why they have implemented it this way (although they could combine the results from the summary and add which provider the review is associated to, which would be more user friendly).

Anyway, I have found my review, but I cannot edit it (even though I am logged in as my user).

Personally, I think this is unfair on the retailer, and the customer should have the right to edit/delete their own review.

(it appears that my subsequent 'reselection' of the star rating from within the email was applied, although I could not see/change my comments.  I can no longer find the mail, so perhaps Google have a method to remove it after a period of time of validity, or perhaps I inadvertently deleted it)

Ultimately, I have come to the conclusion that the answer to my question is "you can't".

All in all, I consider this is a poor/lazy implementation by Google.

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Posted 2wks ago and no reply.  Can anyone at google direct me to someone who can take ownership of the issue?

Customer should be able to modify reviews, otherwise it may be unfair for retailers who could have a positive influence after the initial review is submitted.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

If you can not edit your review or have an issue, submit feedback at the bottom of the page you are located on.

This is a public forum for community members, meaning merchants, experts, freelancers, agencies etc... Google does not assist on forums.

Hope this helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, thank you for your response, but the problem is I cannot locate the review.  Google sometimes asks if you will submit a review during the checkout process.  If you accept, you get an email.  You choose a star rating, and add comments.  After that point, I have no idea where the review is 'located' (as mentioned in the OP, it is not under Google Maps).

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Get in touch with the business you have bought from, they, in turn, can look into this.

This is an advertising community, and can not assist with this specific topic, hence why you did not get a reply for over 2 weeks.

The only thing you can do if the guide below is not helpful is to scroll to the bottom and click no, then submit your feedback.

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6230175

Sorry we volunteers, can not assist in this case.

Hope this helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Once again, thank you.

I have sent a question to the retailer, although I suspect the support function has no direct relationship with Google.  I have also selected No to the feedback in the link provided, but I don't think Google ever reply directly to these comments.

I may be wrong, but I think my quest to edit my own review has come to an end.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chris K
1 month ago

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Just wanted to give an update in case someone else has a similar experience.

The retailer has come back and confirmed, as expected, they have no direct contact with Google.  They have however said there are two type of review (as suspected).  They directed me to a google search of their company, displaying the review (stars) in the search result.  Clicking on the word 'Rating' (shown in grey, next to the stars) gives more detail.  Selecting LEARN MORE opens an adwords FAQ

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375474

The 'Google Customer Reviews' link answers that the 'service' is directly related to creating a Merchant Center account, being the point at which the merchant chooses to opt into Google Reviews from Merchant Center programs.

(it is a shame that Google does not take part in this forum, as it appears to be the obvious place to get the answer).

Additional information: I expected to click on the star ratings within the Review Summary screen, to view all the comments for the selected rating.  This has no effect.  You have to select the Review Provider (left hand side of page; Reevo, Google, Reviews etc).  Once the provider has been chosen, you can select the rating and read the comments.  I find this unintuitive, but I can imagine at a technical level why they have implemented it this way (although they could combine the results from the summary and add which provider the review is associated to, which would be more user friendly).

Anyway, I have found my review, but I cannot edit it (even though I am logged in as my user).

Personally, I think this is unfair on the retailer, and the customer should have the right to edit/delete their own review.

(it appears that my subsequent 'reselection' of the star rating from within the email was applied, although I could not see/change my comments.  I can no longer find the mail, so perhaps Google have a method to remove it after a period of time of validity, or perhaps I inadvertently deleted it)

Ultimately, I have come to the conclusion that the answer to my question is "you can't".

All in all, I consider this is a poor/lazy implementation by Google.