AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

How to discourage Shopping ads from showing against certain competitors?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just started running Google shopping ads last week and they are doing really well but getting very little spend and also when I look at my impression share, only the top competitor is relevant to my business, if it is showing my ad to customers of all the other competitors in that list it is wasted money. How can I dissuade Google from showing it to those people? 

My product feed description is about as specific as I can get it. And negative keywords would be really difficult to implement. The problem is I sell digital products that have a real world equivalent in tangible goods but they are not the same customers.

For an example. let me use "wallpaper" People buying digital wallpaper for their computer screen are not the same as people buying wallpaper for their home but Google sees the term "digital computer wallpaper" and shows it to people doing home renovations. 

If you were selling digital wallpaper backgrounds how could you go about getting Google to stop competing with companies like Home Hardware in that situation?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nicolai G
1 month ago

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

1) You can't

2) Excluding search terms is the only way to prevent unprofitable, incorrect or non relevant search terms

3) Making sure you accurately describe your product in the title and description would be the first step to ensuring Google shows you product for relevant search terms

4) Adding accurate product identifiers

Hope this helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nicolai G
1 month ago

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

1) You can't

2) Excluding search terms is the only way to prevent unprofitable, incorrect or non relevant search terms

3) Making sure you accurately describe your product in the title and description would be the first step to ensuring Google shows you product for relevant search terms

4) Adding accurate product identifiers

Hope this helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Agreed, you can't. it would defeat the whole basis of AdWords, an auction open to everyone. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Emmanuel, 

I thought that might be the answer but I'ts good to get confirmation (who knows what I don't know!) I think I have done all those to the best of my ability but perhaps I will see if I can work on my description a bit more. You'd think that putting my product in a software category would be enough to stop it from being shown against businesses that don't even sell software. That's what makes me think it has the wrong idea about my product.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm happy to compete against my competitors Rob (In fact I see that the number one competitor in the bids is actually a competitor) but I'm selling software and Google also has my ad competing with paint stores and other similarly irrelevant businesses. I was just trying to figure out I could give it some further guidance as to what my product is so that it wouldn't show my ad to the wrong people.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Are you using product categories in your feed?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, a software category (see above) 

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Then perhaps the error is with the competitor not using categories in the feed - something you cannot control. 

However I am seeing similar results in Australia so I guess it is something that Google doesn't get right.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, I thought about that. I just thought it less likely, considering that the mis-matched competitors are mostly massive international companies who would be likely to have ad account managers a little more knowledgeable than myself.

I know where the confusion can come in though, we all sell products that have the same word in it, it's just a different product, not related at all (different categories) and one is also digital and the other tangible. It seemed to me that Google was experimenting by taking a little wander away from the parameters I set. Namely, choosing to ignore the category I gave them in favour of experimenting a little with one of the keywords in my description.

The Facebook ad algorithm does this if you allow it to by clicking 'expand interest targeting' and usually gets it wrong. Maybe Google was doing a little of that and I was hoping there was a way to reign it in.

I tightened my description up a little. I'll see if that helps. 

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

It doesn't help that I saw many products that were physical but mentioned digital somewhere, as in designed digitally.