AdWords
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

How to change bid strategy on a Google Shopping Ad campaign?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I would like to change my bid strategy for an active campaign. I am getting a few conversions, but they are costing far too much. 

I would like to change from manual CPC bidding to ECPC, do you think that this would help bring my cost per conversions down?

Thanks in advance! 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to change bid strategy on a Google Shopping Ad campaign?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Simon, I've found ECPC to be one of the more often effective of the automated bidding strategies and use it to some degree in most of my client Accounts.  However, if your primary problem is cost per conversion being too high, I would suggest ECPC may not help this.  ECPC works by increasing CPC in situations where AdWords determines you are more likely to achieve a conversion and while this can result in more conversions, it does also tend to increase average CPC.  Whether the overall result is a reduction in cost/conversion can only really be determined by testing.

If you're getting a good volume of visitors but a poor conversion rate, I'd be inclined to look first at the website itself.  Conversion problems tend to fall into two categories: problems with Ad targeting (i.e. the people who click your Ads are looking for something other than what you sell) or problems with the website itself.  Given that this is a Shopping Campaign, your customers can see the product you're selling so it's much more likely that problems exist on the site itself rather than there being an issue with AdWords.

These problems may not be large.  I've seen dramatic changes in conversion rates caused by very small changes to a checkout process, or the positioning and size of buttons, text, images, etc.

Check your Analytics data to review your organic conversion rates for visitors.  If the figures are similar (and you may need to segment your data to filter out "irrelevant" visitors) then it's unlikely changes in AdWords can improve the rates.  AdWords can't create sales, it merely delivers potential customers.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Good morning Jon. Thanks for the reply. I have found that our website has hardly any conversions that happen organically, this is why I chose to use Google Shopping to gain sales whilst I tried to improve the seo on my product landing pages. I have no idea what to do to change the website. I have used tools such as Eyequant to show how effective my landing pages are. Would you take some time to look at my website to see what you would change about it? It isnt exactly web 2.0 but I think in terms of structure of landing page it should convert well.

Regards, Simon ( http://www.homeandabout.co.uk )

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

are any inventory items also being sold on other sites
and potentially submitted as product-listing-ads?

has the website been analyzed by the webmaster forums?

one potential area for improvement with respect to
conversions is to have the product-tabs (similar products, etc.)
actually function without repeating the buy-one template
or simply removed altogether.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
The area on my site that shows related products does change, it isn't just a static column, maybe I need to optimise this column by choosing the products that are most related. There are also PLAs of my products listed through an integrated ebay system. Also we have some competitors that list the same products.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

each tab seems to repeat the same (Remember!) statement.

importantly, having the same physical inventory items you own
submitted multiple times for product-listing-ads is at the least
creating self-competition within the ad-auctions and with respect
to conversions -- and at the most is grounds for disapproval or
suspension from the google-shopping program.

also, having the same or similar physical inventory and presence
on such marketplace-sites has the potential of both (a) forcing
google to choose between sites and diluting relevance and (b)
diluting the brand, regardless of google.

unless the brand is already well-established
world-wide such dilution is potentially harmful --
even walmart tends not to sell on amazon.

if the brand is both the product and the site then,
both the multiple-sites and multiple sales-channels
can become a potential issue; unlike the physical
world, being spread so thin online can more quickly

dilute one or the other strategy.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I have removed the "Remember!" statement from the tabs, I will add it back into just the description panel for each product later.

I can now see how it could be harmful to list product on both ebay and our website, though I thought it would have just been an opportunity to make products more visible and sell more. Would it help if i varied the prices between the two channels?