AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

How to bid down Texas

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am confused about how to get fewer impressions for a geographic area. 
My business is centered in the Northeast. I am getting a lot of impressions and clicks from Texas, where my product is not relevant and my conversion rate is low. 

I tried adding Texas as a location (in addition to United States) and lowering the bid -80%. But is that the right way to do it, or is that serving impressions in addition to ones going to Texas because of the U.S. region? It is not a solution to increase my bid for Northeast states, because I'm already getting clicks for less than my maximum. I would like to calibrate my impressions served to where I know my customers are. 

Can anyone tell me if this is the right way to do it? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adam C
June 2017

How to bid down Texas

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Adam,

Yes, this is the right way to reduce ad exposure in a specific geographic area.

Bid adjustment for the most specific location will be used by the system for traffic from users in that area.

More about bid adjustments here - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2732132?hl=en

And if your product is not relevant in a geographic area, you can also exclude that area from your targeting.

Deepak

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adam C
June 2017

How to bid down Texas

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Adam,

Yes, this is the right way to reduce ad exposure in a specific geographic area.

Bid adjustment for the most specific location will be used by the system for traffic from users in that area.

More about bid adjustments here - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2732132?hl=en

And if your product is not relevant in a geographic area, you can also exclude that area from your targeting.

Deepak

How to bid down Texas

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks very much! 
By the way, how can I exclude all traffic from outside the U.S.? Do I have to add every country? 
About 20% of my costs are from "unspecified" location and I have 0.08% conversions from this location setting. Need to solve this. I see that I cannot exclude "unspecified" as a location. 

How to bid down Texas

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Adam,

Which is the targeting option selected in your campaign under advanced location options?

'Settings' tab > location options (advanced)

If you are using the default option 'People in, searching for, or who show interest in your targeted location (recommended)', your ad will be displayed to people who are likely to be physically located in your targeted location, as well as people who have shown interest in your targeted location even if they are outside your targeted location.

This can be the reason, why you are getting clicks from outside your target location. So if you are using the default setting, please change it to 'People in your targeted location'

More information here - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?hl=en

Deepak

How to bid down Texas

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Deepak, thanks for the reply. 
Yes just a couple days ago I changed it to 'People in your targeted location'.
However I realized that over the past six months, I have been charged $500 for clicks from "unspecified." I need assurance that I will not pay for clicks outside the U.S. because this seems like I have been robbed by Google. By the way, this "advanced" setting has been removed from the New Google experience, in order to hide it from users, and trick them into overspending on clicks from bots outside the U.S. 

Also, I need to know how to place all countries outside the U.S. in my "excluded" list. When I go through one by one, some countries don't even show up in search such as Sudan, Iran, etc. 

This is now wasting a lot of my time and money. 

How to bid down Texas

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Adam,

Advanced location settings is available in new AdWords interface under

Settings > Additional Settings

And some of the counties where AdWords is not available are not included in the locations list.

More information about restricted countries here - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6163740?hl=en