AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

How does Merchant Centre differentiate between my several products?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good morning,

I’ll appreciate it if you could help me in understanding how Product Ads and Adwords work.

I understand that if I have a web site selling fruit bidding on the word ‘fruit’ would be too generic. It would be better to bid specifically on ‘oranges’ and ‘apples’.

What I fail to understand is this: if I have a campaign which includes both apples and oranges how do I make Google respond to ‘oranges’ searches with my oranges pages and respond to ‘apple’ searches with my apple pages. Would this be handled by Google Prouct Category?

And, moreover, if I have several sites (all verified by Google and claimed by myself) can I submit links to several sites within the same Google Merchant Centre data feed?

Regards,

Ant

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: How does Merchant Centre differentiate between my several products

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Morning Ant,

From what I understand you are reffering to Google Shopping campaigns rather than Text Ads?

If so, you do not use keywords in order to return your items, rather that of the data feed and its quality along with a competite bid, (however, negative keywords can be placed)

As such, if one of your items has a stronger relevance to the search than the other, given a strong enough bid, this ad would be shown.

On your second point, 

Each DataFeed must have only one registered & claimed URL. Only links to this URL will be accepted within the DataFeed registered to this domain.

If you wish to sumbit items from all sites, ensuring they are not related, similar or exact replicas of items found on another site, you can do so by one of two options.

1. Request a Multi-Client account

Mulit Client Account Request

If granted a multi-client account, you would then establish mutliple feeds under each company/domain and control this through a central login. Each feed would be set-up just as your initial feed, with a single domain name allocated and DataFeed created.

2. Upload each feed under a unique login.

Tom Wilson
Freelance Adwords & Google Shopping Consultant

If you find this or another response helpful within the forum "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Morning Ant,

From what I understand you are reffering to Google Shopping campaigns rather than Text Ads?

If so, you do not use keywords in order to return your items, rather that of the data feed and its quality along with a competite bid, (however, negative keywords can be placed)

As such, if one of your items has a stronger relevance to the search than the other, given a strong enough bid, this ad would be shown.

On your second point, 

Each DataFeed must have only one registered & claimed URL. Only links to this URL will be accepted within the DataFeed registered to this domain.

If you wish to sumbit items from all sites, ensuring they are not related, similar or exact replicas of items found on another site, you can do so by one of two options.

1. Request a Multi-Client account

Mulit Client Account Request

If granted a multi-client account, you would then establish mutliple feeds under each company/domain and control this through a central login. Each feed would be set-up just as your initial feed, with a single domain name allocated and DataFeed created.

2. Upload each feed under a unique login.

Tom Wilson

If you find this or another response helpful within the forum "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom,

Thank you very much for this.

First off Yes, I am referring to Google Shopping campaigns.

Can you clarify the part " ...do not use keywords in order to return your items   ..."

How do I actually indicate to Google that my item is an orange or whatever. Surely there must be somewhere where I specify my products. How if not through keywords?

Moreover, can you clarify   "...rather that of the data feed and its quality along with a competite bid ...". Is there some text missing here?

Thank you so much for your support.

Anthony

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

each entry in the data (feed) specifies each product;
attributes and values specify a for-sale item-offer.

google-shopping product-listing-ads have rules and policies that must be
followed in order to participate without being suspended from the program.

for example, google-shopping does not use keywords,
and irrelevant keywords cannot be used within the data
(feed) submitted to google-shopping.

data (feeds) that contain irrelevant ad-text or information unrelated
to the physical item-offer are not allowed and grounds for disapproval
or suspension, at any time.

rather, each item entry within the data-feed submitted will include
attributes and values that are used to indicate to google a single
for-sale item-offer is an orange, or whatever, and to specify that
exact product information.

for each physical inventory, for-sale, item-offer, being submitted,
each attribute within the data (feed) must be used as specified by
google, to describe a relavant aspect of the physical item or how
the physical item might be used.

for example, if a dozen-apples is the item-offer being sold and submitted then
only information about a dozen-apples may be submitted for that specific item.

for example, if a a single orange is being sold as the item-offer
then only informaton about the single orange may be submitted.

for example, the title attribute should name the single, physical, item-offer;
for example, the description attribute should describe the physical item-offer;
for example, the product_type attribute should classify the physical item-offer.

the (feed) data submitted is then transferred to the linked adwords-account

where bids may be placed on items or groups of items based on attributes --

for example, if the product_type classifies an item as fruit > apple then a bid

may be placed on fruit or just an apple; for example, if custom_label_0 groups

items as summer-harvest, then a different bid may be placed on those items.

see also
https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/1344057
https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/2877578
https://support.google.com/merchants/#topic=3404779

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

You're very welcome.

Sorry if I was unclear. I see celebird has been kind enough to assist you, however, just to clarify my points as you have asked.

Can you clarify the part " ...do not use keywords in order to return your items   ..."

Moreover, can you clarify   "...rather that of the data feed and its quality along with a competite bid ...". Is there some text missing here?

Within adwords, you would normally set keywords to trigger your text ad's, however within shopping, there is no such availability. The "keywords" are in essence every word you write within your datafeed. Google will use the attribute content which you include in your feed for each item to determine its relevance to the search term, along with this a competitive bid must be set. 

How do I actually indicate to Google that my item is an orange or whatever. Surely there must be somewhere where I specify my products. How if not through keywords?

The feed attributes available do this for you, attributes such as Google_Product_Category allow you to state your item, the description, title etc all have this information available. 

Another strong attribute which would offer, what I believe you are asking for, would be the product_type attribute, this can be used by you, to categorise your item as you see fit and does not need to match that of the taxonomy.

If you are still unclear please let me know and I will try to assist you further.

Tom Wilson

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Tom; that was very helpful.

I always had the impression that the products promoted through Google Shopping depended on the keywords chosen in Adwords.

You've set me on the correct path.

Thanks again

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

No problem Anthony,

Best of luck,

Tom Wilson