AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

How do I optimize my Google Shopping campaign?

Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Google Shopping is a great way to advertise your retail business online using Product Listing Ads (PLAs). Alan is here to give us some great tips on how to make the most of it for your business.  

5 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Shanea K (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: How do I optimize my Google Shopping campaign?

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Community,

I have spoken to a number of people recently who were wanting some tips on how to get started, or how best to optimize their Shopping campaigns. I’ve prepared some resources and links which should be of use in running a Shopping Campaign:

Product Groups

I would recommend segmenting your inventory into different product groups, this will give you the benefit of bidding more competitively on your top performing products. Creating different Product Groups is easy and vital to be able to spread your budget fairly across different ranges of products.

Bidding Strategy

Once the new groups have been created and segmented into more appropriate product groups. I would recommend increasing the Bid in your top performing groups, or your traditional bestsellers, thus allowing you to serve more impressions and won more auctions. A great way to formulate a bidding strategy is to look at your products impressions share alongside the Benchmark Max CPCs and Benchmark CTRs. If your product is lagging behind market in these metrics, it may be worthwhile reviewing your bid strategy.

Negative Keywords

Although regular keywords will not run on Google Shopping, Negative Keywords will and be of great use in deflecting poor quality traffic. In a Shopping Context, the key terms you will want to ensure you have are “repair, repairs, clean, cleaning, fix, manual, used, secondhand”. To learn how to add in these terms, please review this article.

Promotional Text

Promotional text is essential in gaining a competitive advantage over other Merchant. Popular phrases I have seen used include “Free Shipping” or “Fast Shipping”. You can have a single piece of promotional text per campaign.

Location Settings

Within your location targeting, I would also recommend adding in any major urban areas or capital cities. These heavily populated areas within your targets will be your most competitive areas in terms of a click. To ensure you maintain a strong position in these areas I would then look at setting up a bid adjustment or 5% in those areas. For more information on how to use Bid Adjustments, please click here.

Conversion Tracking

It is essential to monitor the Return on Investment you are receiving for these Google Shopping clicks. The most popular method of monitoring how users interact with an e-commerce based site would be to implement Conversion Tracking. This will allow you to track the amount of clicks which have actually become confirmed purchases. For more information on how to set up conversion tracking, please see this article.

I hope you found these tips useful. Please let us know if you have any questions, or feel free to share your own experience of how to make the most out of Google Shopping.

-Alan

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Shanea K (Google Employee)
September 2015

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Community,

I have spoken to a number of people recently who were wanting some tips on how to get started, or how best to optimize their Shopping campaigns. I’ve prepared some resources and links which should be of use in running a Shopping Campaign:

Product Groups

I would recommend segmenting your inventory into different product groups, this will give you the benefit of bidding more competitively on your top performing products. Creating different Product Groups is easy and vital to be able to spread your budget fairly across different ranges of products.

Bidding Strategy

Once the new groups have been created and segmented into more appropriate product groups. I would recommend increasing the Bid in your top performing groups, or your traditional bestsellers, thus allowing you to serve more impressions and won more auctions. A great way to formulate a bidding strategy is to look at your products impressions share alongside the Benchmark Max CPCs and Benchmark CTRs. If your product is lagging behind market in these metrics, it may be worthwhile reviewing your bid strategy.

Negative Keywords

Although regular keywords will not run on Google Shopping, Negative Keywords will and be of great use in deflecting poor quality traffic. In a Shopping Context, the key terms you will want to ensure you have are “repair, repairs, clean, cleaning, fix, manual, used, secondhand”. To learn how to add in these terms, please review this article.

Promotional Text

Promotional text is essential in gaining a competitive advantage over other Merchant. Popular phrases I have seen used include “Free Shipping” or “Fast Shipping”. You can have a single piece of promotional text per campaign.

Location Settings

Within your location targeting, I would also recommend adding in any major urban areas or capital cities. These heavily populated areas within your targets will be your most competitive areas in terms of a click. To ensure you maintain a strong position in these areas I would then look at setting up a bid adjustment or 5% in those areas. For more information on how to use Bid Adjustments, please click here.

Conversion Tracking

It is essential to monitor the Return on Investment you are receiving for these Google Shopping clicks. The most popular method of monitoring how users interact with an e-commerce based site would be to implement Conversion Tracking. This will allow you to track the amount of clicks which have actually become confirmed purchases. For more information on how to set up conversion tracking, please see this article.

I hope you found these tips useful. Please let us know if you have any questions, or feel free to share your own experience of how to make the most out of Google Shopping.

-Alan

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I have a question. I have optimize my products title and description for different keywords, but google do not show correct product for a queries. Most of time it show another product.

What should I do to show specific product for particular keywords?

2nd question is, one competitors same product is showing for atleast 3 differnt queries. Is there any way to target same product for 2-3 keywords?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

shopping-campaigns do not use keywords.

results are determined by the bid and quality factors.

the feed specification is used to submit
relevant, quality, data about physical
for-sale items and (product-listing) ads
surface based on this data.
https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/188494
https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/1344057

to help improve overall quality, be certain all
data is submitted per the rules and guidelines.

to help improve a specific item's quality and performance,
be certain all attributes have relevant information about
the physical product -- do not mention any information
about the website or any other ancillary information or
irrelevant facts that could negatively impact quality.

use the most succinct title possible and move the most salient
information that describes the physical item, to the first few
words or so of the description.

the most important ad text should be in the first few words
of both the title and description; however, do not neglect the
remaining description space -- since the remainder exists to
help improve an item's relevancy and overall quality.

be certain the title simply names the physical item --
be certain the description describes the physical item
and the physical characteristics of the product so that
potential customers can find exactly what they are looking for
and know exactly what they would be buying in the most
relevant terms possible.

if the submitted (feed) data and website are already high quality, try
increasing the bid for a specific group of products or specific product.

also, if there are irrelevant search-terms triggering the product-ads
be certain to consider adding negative-search-terms to the campaign.

generally, force-fitting keyword spam or submitting
irrelevant information about a product violates the
current policies and is grounds for lower quality,
disapproval, or suspension from the program, at any time.
https://support.google.com/merchants/#topic=3404779

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi, thanks for usefull information about shoppping campaigns. Is there a sense to create separate shopping campaigns for separate regions? My usual search campaign has 6 times better conversion rate compared to shopping campaign ( 3,14 % and 0,59 %). I am targeting both Australia and Grear Britain in the same shopping campaign, I have 1 ad.group with such categories as jewellery, watches etc. Maybe I should create more ad.groups?
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
first, you're welcome.

yes, separate campaigns per target-country is typically recommended.

as an aside, posting a separate question in the forums is usually best --
that way the thread's discussion can be targeted to your specific issue.
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Google-Shopping-PLAs-Merchant/bd-p/google-shopping

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
This early 2014 thread has been closed to new replies.

If anyone has a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question.

This will improve the visibility of any follow-on questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thanks!