AdWords
6.6K members online now
6.6K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

How do I add Negative Placements to a PLA Campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, 

So my PLA (I'm pretty confident they are PLA) ads are appearing on target.com. I have target.com as a negative placement for all of my display & retargeting camps.

However, on Target.com I still see ads for my product appearing. Since we have a partnership with Target, I need to stop these ads from appearing on their site!

Any ideas of how I would do this? Can't see anywhere in Adwords PLA Campaign settings where negative placements can be added.

Here is the Ad that is appearing on Target.com:

Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 10.13.59 AM.png

Here is the Ad's URL:

http://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=CP4ttkD8FV5OhF5LB-QOBkorYBIjp65gJiKL4i9UCqOC7jkQ...

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How do I add Negative Placements to a PLA Campaign?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Marius G

I don't think you can in the same way that you can't add negative placements for search network partners. It doesn't work like a display campaign. I think the only way you can be certain that your ads don't serve on target.com is to remove search network partners. You'll need to consider if the overall effect of that is worth having your ads not show there.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hey Marius, how are things?

I agree with David.

These ads that you're seeing is probably part of Search PARTNERS, which unfortunately, we don't have any control over them except to turn them on or off. It's either using everyone or no one at all.

You won't be able to found results by specific partners, but you should be able to check overall results from search partners by hitting the button "Segment" on you Campaign tab, and selecting "Network (with search partners), or even on the Reports tool at the top menu.

You can have a little bit more information over them by using Google ValueTracks to check if the click came from Search Partners. Just in case you don't know that ValueTracks are, they're parameters that you add to your URLs that Adwords fills automatically with the information you want. There's one parameters called {network}, and Google will replace this "{network}" for the network the use came from: search, search partners or display. Pretty cool, right!? You can find more information here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6305348?hl=en

Hope this helps.
_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Marius G,

I am sure your ad will not be shown on target.com if you do following settings:
For PLA search Ads:

Uncheck Search Network Partner. Your ad will be shown on Google only.

For Display Ads:

Exclude target.com into placement.

Hope I helped you .

Regards,
Virendra

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager
Hi Marius,

Just to add to the suggestions above, this is likely not due to Search Partners placements--Search Partners are other websites that are geared more toward search as a primary purpose (ex. AOL.com is a good example).

If you were to click on one of those ads, would it bring you to the product page on your website, or somewhere else?

Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This sounds about right David. Do you know if there is any way within PLA to see conversions that are coming in from search partners vs search? I'm afraid of turning of search partners if in the end it is bringing in conversions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Awesome Leandro, this is helpful.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yeah, I'm just worried that by unchecking Search Network Partner for PLA I will loose out on a significant # of conversions.

Seems like the only option though if I want to be sure about not appearing on target.com.

Cheers,

Marius

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yeah, it is a link to our website.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@CassieH

I think the search partner network has been much broader than that for quite some time now. I've seen a lot of evidence that would suggest that with third-party click audit tools that I use on search campaigns only. I've taken this screen shot from a query performed on Target.com. I really believe these are search ads due to the fact that search oriented ad extensions like sitelinks and callouts are included.target-search.gif

@Marius G

Yes, that's why I wanted you to consider it real carefully.  Shopping is my weakest area of Adwords and it's been years since I've had a proper ecommerce client. Still, I think you should be able to go to the "Segment" tab and select "Network (with search partners)" to see the breakdown on conversions.