AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

How can I insert Google Product Categories

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi everyone,

I read very much about the importance of assigning attributes such as Google Product Categories, among others, to the products of the feed. But I can´t find any clear information on available ways to do so. So I wanted to ask:

1) Can this be created through feed rules of merchant center or do I need to use the feed generator of the e-commerce platform I use?  Or maybe another option? I imagine it is a long work to create this using feed rules.

2) If feed rules works, will the created values for these fields appear in the spreadsheet available for download with all the items?

Thank you!

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Google Product Categories are downloadable as a spreadsheet here: 

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6324436?hl=en&visit_id=1-636130910021007140-1439849694&r...

Google Product Categories are a mandatory taxonomy which are required in your feed. It gives Google an reference for where your products fit into the grand order of all online products they handle, and when to trigger the ads. Of course, they are also spidering your Title and Description against the search term entered, ranking your bids, and making decisions based upon other factors e.g. your daily ad spend. 

In many cases Google Product Categories don't serve, or fully address the need to organize your products within your campaign for bid control and budget allocation.  In my experience, that is where the configuration and use of Product Groups and Ad Groups can also be helpful in a Shopping campaign. 

I'm not sure if that answers your question about using feed rules but hth!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Arturo P

Feed rules in the google merchant center really exist to simplify using available information or to add static values such as identifier exists = false for those who do not meet the MPN requirements.

In this case, I am assuming you have products that fall into more than one google product category. If that is the case, merchant rules would not be very helpful unless you have another field filled that could be used to modify to meet the attribute requirement. 

What ecommerce platform do you use? There are several that have a field already for the google product category.

Best,

Nick

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Nick thanks for your reply.

We currently use feed rules also for setting custom parameters. As for the platform, we use Prestashop but there are not many Merchant Center Modules as far as I know. I understand from your answer that the way to introduce fields such as Google Product Category is then through such modules or feed management tool of choice, there is no other more "manual" way to do so that at the same time allows to do it at scale. Is that correct?

The problem comes cause we are trying to improve the feed quality but it is not so easy to know how to introduce specific values for different fields at a big scale. I dont think that downloading the excel file and adding those fields on the excel, and then uploading it back will solve it, will it?

Thanks!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Arturo P

Google product categories are a required attribute when submitting a data feed and is important because it helps Google know what categories to place your products in. In addition, accurate google product categories also leads to benefits for sellers because it helps google display your products to the relevant consumer groups. For example, if you are selling home products but categorize them under cars, people looking for home products will not be able to find your products. Therefore, it is usually best to have your products under the most specific category.

I hope that helps!

Brian

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per Community Posting Guidelines. Please do not post self-promotional content in the AdWords Community. Repeated violations of this guideline can result in suspension from the forums.