AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

How Much Do You Charge for Setting Up Product Listings

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all.

I'm currently writing a proposal for a client which will include a product listing campaign.

I am not quite sure what to quote for a product listing campaign built from scratch, as this will be my first one.

How much would you charge for a campaign which included 100 products?

Any advice or comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Derek D
September 2015

Re: How Much Do You Charge for Setting Up Product Listings

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Derek

I have been creating accounts, setting up Shopping Campaigns since the old Google Base days, when the service was free and in my experience, it depends on many factors. 

Firstly, the ease in exporting the data from the back end of their site. Some shopping carts either have the functionality to create a basic feed for use, which requires minimal modification, some provide only the very basics and require a lot more user input to uphold to the specifications required. 

If you are creating the feed from a database export, which will require manipulation then obviously this is more work than that previously stated.

The work involved in creating accounts and linking of said accounts is minimal, the work comes in creating the feed and then managing the feed and ad groups afterwards. If you are planning on creating a basic feed to upload, have it reviewed and approved to then later tackle optimisation of the feed, you could charge the service in two parts.

100 products is a good number to start with, as you will be able to gain knowledge of the workings of Shopping Campaigns and creating ad groups etc with a limited number of items. 

My advise would be, if you can do so, take a minimal charge for the works, as this is your first time, this will allow you the hands on experience required to really understand Google Merchant Center and the Shopping Campaigns that are tied with this. If you spoke to your customer about this, mentioning it was your first time and for that you would only take minimal financial funding for this element, then this would allow more freedom in setting up and any mistakes you may encounter along the way. Charging is very personal and varies from individual to individual, also charging methods, some businesses charge based on monthly spend by the customer, taking a percentage, others charge a flat rate per month, others charge a percentage of sales gained, in my experience. It would be best to figure out what works best for you and your customer.

Obviously, I do not know your personal/business set up and whether this would be achievable for you, however, this is how I first started back in 2006, along with answering posts in the then Google Base forum, which allowed me to gain a vast knowledge in the product and with all the other users here you will be able to gain assistance if you need it.

Wishing you all the best with the task ahead. 

Tom Wilson
Freelance Adwords & Google Shopping Consultant

If you find this or another response helpful within the forum "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Derek D
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Derek

I have been creating accounts, setting up Shopping Campaigns since the old Google Base days, when the service was free and in my experience, it depends on many factors. 

Firstly, the ease in exporting the data from the back end of their site. Some shopping carts either have the functionality to create a basic feed for use, which requires minimal modification, some provide only the very basics and require a lot more user input to uphold to the specifications required. 

If you are creating the feed from a database export, which will require manipulation then obviously this is more work than that previously stated.

The work involved in creating accounts and linking of said accounts is minimal, the work comes in creating the feed and then managing the feed and ad groups afterwards. If you are planning on creating a basic feed to upload, have it reviewed and approved to then later tackle optimisation of the feed, you could charge the service in two parts.

100 products is a good number to start with, as you will be able to gain knowledge of the workings of Shopping Campaigns and creating ad groups etc with a limited number of items. 

My advise would be, if you can do so, take a minimal charge for the works, as this is your first time, this will allow you the hands on experience required to really understand Google Merchant Center and the Shopping Campaigns that are tied with this. If you spoke to your customer about this, mentioning it was your first time and for that you would only take minimal financial funding for this element, then this would allow more freedom in setting up and any mistakes you may encounter along the way. Charging is very personal and varies from individual to individual, also charging methods, some businesses charge based on monthly spend by the customer, taking a percentage, others charge a flat rate per month, others charge a percentage of sales gained, in my experience. It would be best to figure out what works best for you and your customer.

Obviously, I do not know your personal/business set up and whether this would be achievable for you, however, this is how I first started back in 2006, along with answering posts in the then Google Base forum, which allowed me to gain a vast knowledge in the product and with all the other users here you will be able to gain assistance if you need it.

Wishing you all the best with the task ahead. 

Tom Wilson

If you find this or another response helpful within the forum "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tom, thanks a lot for the info.

I believe I am going to write and input a lot of information into data feed manually - as the customer has a brand new website for the UK market and requires additional product information written in English (not their first language).

I was thinking of charging between £400 and £500 for set up as this is in-line with their budget and also I am not sure about how many hours it will take to setup, and then an ongoing management fee that is a % of their monthly spend.

Does this sound like a good starting point to you?

Thanks for your input.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Derek

Yeah, I would say that is fair, if it is budget to them and you are happy with it, not wanting to repeat myself, however, its a good start, great to get paid to learn something that you will be able to use again and again.

If its a manual feed, then it will require more work that that of an automated feed as you will need to ensure all prices, link changes, image changes, stock etc etc.... remain constant in both the feed and landing pages. 

For management I would say, just to be careful your time involved is covered by the percentage, as the customer fluctuating the monthly spend can sometimes leave you running at a loss, however, as I said, if it works for you then thats all that is important.

Tom Wilson