AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

High CTR but NO conversions in Google Shopping

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I get many clicks on my google shopping ads but I find it strange that they don't convert. The keywords that are searched are the same as my products and they obviously can see the image and price before they click on the product, so why don't they buy it? I offer free shipping in my store and the checkout is pretty easy.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sam M
June 2017

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Google Shopping is requires fine tuning for it to be more profitable. You will need to research your Adwords data and make improvements based on your own data. When it comes to improving there are 3 big parts. Data feed, Adwords and website.

All 3 need to be worked on to ensure everything is smoothed out.  If you need to know how to improve such parts, I recommend Googling step by step parts what or how to improve.

Searches such as best friend t-shirt will still be very generic, maybe exclude this keyword and only allow color specific searches. It's all about testing out and finding keywords that work. Not because the keyword matches your product, means it's a high converting keyword.

For example setup a multi campaign setup where you bid lower for generic keywords and higher for colored keywords or branded keywords. More info : https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6275296?co=ADWORDS.IsAWNCustomer%3Dfalse&hl=en

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

for shopping-ads, if clicks do not turn into conversions/sales, then
this is usually due to a disconnect between what the customer is
expecting and what the customer is actually seeing or experiencing.

for example --

- mismatches between the shopping-ad title or description,
as compared against the website, or as compared to the actual

physical inventory-item that is actually shipped to the customer;
- low-quality images or images that do not match the offer;
- price or shipping-prices that are uncompetitive or contain outliers;
- competitors that are quickly reacting to prices or shipping-prices;
- landing-pages that change based on user-specific details;
- a website with poor navigation or unclear navigation;
- a website that performs poorly overall or poorly on certain devices;
- a website design that displays poorly or poorly on certain devices;
- a lack of trust-signals or unclear trust-signals, such as:
any landing-page with more than one add-to-cart item or any required
user-selections before the offer can be added to a shopping-cart;
unclear return or refund policies, missing or unclear contact details
such as physical-street address and phone-number that will be answered
during normal business-hours, any poor ratings or reviews, etc;

- irrelevant, casual, or window-shopping, traffic based on the search-query
report compared to both the relevancy of the submitted data and the precise
physical inventory-item that is being sold and shipped.

however, forum-members cannot look into any accounts or submitted data --
forum-members can mainly offer suggestions based on the details that
are posted here within the public-forum; posting more specific details,
such as specific search-terms, landing-pages, (feed) data that is being
submitted, etc., may allow others to offer more specific suggestions.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Are they generic searches for fashion items?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No, they are very specific shirts.

For 250 clicks there's 1 conversion. The ROI is just so horribly bad, it just doesn't make sense to advertise.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

By specific do you mean the search queries include the brand name?

Because without a brand name, the searches tend to be from people who will visit many sites, and not convert well. There is typically a disconnect between the very specific image they have in their head, the generic search terms they use, and the titles of products.

I have seen a lot of merchants struggle in Shopping because either the search terms are too generic (red shoes), or their prices are high. While they might be good prices for a quality product, most people are expecting cheap products from searches and don't indicate price or quality in their search terms.

I have turned away fashion merchants who don't have their own well-known brand, or sell other brands but at a cheap price. Because it is so difficult to get conversions otherwise.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For an example, I sell best friend t-shirts. The searches are exactly "best friend t-shirt" which is my product title. The image is clear and shows a best friend t-shirt on the image and product title, with a discounted price, and free shipping. Why are they not interested in buying it when they been clicking the ad?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

When I search for "best friend t-shirt" in Google Shopping (Australia, but shouldn't make a difference), I see a lot of products, all different looking, all fitting the search query.

From $3 on eBay to $80.

Different slogans, colours, designs. Personalised or not.

That's why I guessed you were selling fashion items. People browse until they find what they want. Sometimes they have a specific idea in their head. Sometimes they have no idea. Some people click on everything and take a closer look.

Because it is fashion, even if you think it looks great and your friends tell you it looks great - there is no way of pleasing everyone, and you'll get the proof from sales.

I have seen many, many non-brand fashion sites fail with Google Shopping. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I do understand what you're saying but should the conversion rate be that bad? 1 conversion out of 250 clicks and 14,000 impressions is insane. Should I give up google shopping? What could I possibly do to make it better?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sam M
June 2017

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Google Shopping is requires fine tuning for it to be more profitable. You will need to research your Adwords data and make improvements based on your own data. When it comes to improving there are 3 big parts. Data feed, Adwords and website.

All 3 need to be worked on to ensure everything is smoothed out.  If you need to know how to improve such parts, I recommend Googling step by step parts what or how to improve.

Searches such as best friend t-shirt will still be very generic, maybe exclude this keyword and only allow color specific searches. It's all about testing out and finding keywords that work. Not because the keyword matches your product, means it's a high converting keyword.

For example setup a multi campaign setup where you bid lower for generic keywords and higher for colored keywords or branded keywords. More info : https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6275296?co=ADWORDS.IsAWNCustomer%3Dfalse&hl=en

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Sam

Selling clothing in Internet isn't easy - people are picky because of lots of stores like yours. If they don't find exactly what they want, they leave. Also low conversion rate is a sign of our times.

I'd like to advice you to make more complex strategy - try remarketing and RLSA campaigns to turn your visitors into customers.