AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Help with Optimizing google shopping campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all 

I need some help and advice to help increase the ROI on our google shopping campaign, we are selling LED lighting the campaign is live and converting but the cost per conversion i think can be brought down, i have the products for one category grouped with everything else excluded so i can see all the conversions and clicks at product level. 

My questions are as follows:

I have the bidding set at manual CPC with enhanced is this the best bidding strategy?

Is there a way that i can rotate the products evenly as i would like to promote some of the best sellers more and it seems to be showing the less popular products more, bids are all set evenly at the moment and pretty high so i really wan't to avoid increasing the bids further for the products i want to promote more. 

Is there any advantage in creating a separate ad group for each product? 

Is there any advantage in breaking up the ad groups into areas in the UK ? IE. break it up into UK county areas?

Image sizes i have seen a few products seem to be displaying a zoomed image of the product which does not show off the product to it's best what are the recommendations on best image sizes?

Titles and descriptions in the feed do these need to match the website titles and descriptions exactly as i would like to try to optimize these in the feed for better visibility of the products.

Sorry big list but hopefully someone can advise on all of this. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey, in order to show your bestsellers more often, or to show products that are discounted more often, you could try out a tiered setup:
1) Set up a campaign that contains only your bestseller with a campaign priority of high.
2) Set up a second campaign with all other products with a campaign priority of medium.

You could use a third campaign with all products, which targets branded search terms only, with a campaign priority of low. For this one, since you can't target search terms directly in Shopping campaigns, you have to make sure that the other two campaigns have branded keywords excluded as negative keywords.

There are different models of tiered Shopping campaign setups, but in general I have found a tiered system to improve ROI significantly, as you will always have low performing products and search terms, and this way you have more control over which products show for which search terms. Here is a useful article on the topic as well:

https://www.ppchero.com/how-to-better-organize-shopping-campaigns-part-1/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi 

Thanks for the reply, looks interesting. 

The products we supply don't have any brands associated to them they are our own range of unique product designs. So i will look to do as you advise and try the more popular and high margin products in one campaign and the other products in that category in a second campaign.

Would you set up 2 separate campaigns or just split them into ad groups within the campaign?

What about the bids, do you set these at the same level in both campaigns?

Thanks 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

You would definitely need to put them in two different campaigns, as you can only set the Shopping campaign priority (under each campaign's "Settings") at campaign-level, not at ad group level.

With the campaign priority of the bestseller campaign set to "high" and the general campaign with all other products set to "medium" or "low", you would signal to AdWords that products in the bestseller campaign are effectively more important to you and that Google should choose to show these products over the other ones.

Another benefit is that you can use separate budgets for both campaigns, e.g. assigning a higher budget to the bestseller campaign. However, I suggest trying out a shared budget for both shopping campaigns first, as you can make sure you don't run out of budget.

Regarding bids, that's down to your optimisation strategy and depending on how many products and time you have. I often choose to optimise bids at product level, meaning that I add all products individually to the ad group rather than by category/type. But whether you optimise at product level or product type level, it pays off to be consistent across both campaigns.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply 

I have now put the products into 2 campaigns best seller and high profit items in one and less popular in the second priority has been set to high and medium. 

However i still seem to be getting more impressions and visits on the medium priority campaign. CPC at the moment is set the same in both campaigns any advice on what i can do now to promote the high priority campaign further do i just increase or decrease the bids in the campaigns?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes, you could set the bids for the products in the bestseller campaign higher than in the general campaign. You can also set the priority for the latter to "low" rather than "medium".

Additionally, you can try out using Enhanced CPC only for the bestseller campaign instead of both campaigns.

If there are some products in the general campaign which keep showing up (often it's a handful of products which gather the bulk of the impressions), start decreasing the bids for these gradually, unless you're happy with their ROI of course.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok thank you i will try your advice and see what happens