AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Google sponsored ads is promoting counterfeit versions of my goods!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have just changed to a new website host 2 weeks ago and was reading about how to organise Google sponsored ads. When I searched for my website to get some examples I find 3 of the 4 'sponsored ads' are for counterfeit product! I have searched for hours for even an email address to notify google about this and just cant find one. To be honest I find it very disappointing that google actively promotes counterfeit product but doesn't have a mechanism to report counterfeit products they are reporting. I am sure they don't really want to promote counterfeit goods but there seems no mechanism to report this.

It is particularly disappointing when clients have mentioned on the phone these products and we assumed they were appearing in organic search results and the clients were insisting the products were ok because they were 'google sponsored'.

Can someone give me a clue where I can report this and get these pirates removed?

Thanks

Glen

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google sponsored ads is promoting counterfeit versions of my goods

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Glen,

We had the same issue. It sometimes depends on the wording they have used. If they say they are xxx styled then they will not be banned. All other banners and marketing indicate they are trying to trick the customer but the final bit of wording means that google ads will take no action

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Glen,

If you found some ads that are violating the AdWords Policies, I would suggest filling up this complaint form and let AdWords support know about it:- https://support.google.com/adwords/troubleshooter/4578507?rd=1

I am not Google but I can certainly say that it's a very challenging task to keep track of each and every ad that is being triggered across the whole ecosystem. Lots of advertisers signing up for AdWords everyday and sometimes the ads they create might not adhere to the policies. That's why Google has set up this form so that users can fill up and let them know about violations that are being encountered online.

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Glen,

Here is a direct link to the Counterfeit Goods Complaint Form (http://services.google.com/inquiry/aw_counterfeit?) While I don't know what type of products you sell it seems likely that there will continue to be counterfeit versions available even if Google does take action on some of these sites. Here are a couple more ideas on how to mitigate this issue:

1. Utilize paid search campaigns: outrank the counterfeit sites by bidding on relevant keywords. You should have the ability to use "official product" or other validating text in your ad copy. You should also expect good quality scores if you are selling the real product meaning relatively cheap CPCs.

2. Utilize shopping campaigns: on average, product listing ads have a significantly higher CTR and conversion rate than text ads on product related searches. Also, for products that have a GTIN (UPC for US) they will soon be required to use this in product feeds. This should prevent counterfeiters from showing PLAs for your exact product.

3. Monitor sites advertising counterfeits: it may be worthwhile to get an ad monitoring tool that allows you to track when sites use your product name or close variations in their ads. Checkout (http://www.thesearchmonitor.com/) for a good paid tool or (https://www.semrush.com) which allows some basic monitoring for free.
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Top Contributor, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.