AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Google shopping pattern attribute

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a question with regards to the google shopping pattern attribute - can the pattern attribute contain multiple descriptive words ? For example I have an undersea pattern print on a product, so for the pattern I could just say "undersea" but it feels like it would be more useful to include starfish, mermaids, sharks etc - 

Can the pattern attribute include multiple elements to it?

Thanks

Ian

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ian H
February 2016

Re: Google shopping pattern attribute

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ian,

This doesn't directly answer your question, but consider adding the additional pattern attributes to the 'product type' attribute field.  You can use up to ten values in this field, and it's how you classify the product, not tied to any specific restrictions.  

To directly answer your question, yes, I believe you can have multiple descriptive words in the pattern field, but the field is capped at 100 characters.  I think you'd want to separate with commas.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ian H
February 2016

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ian,

This doesn't directly answer your question, but consider adding the additional pattern attributes to the 'product type' attribute field.  You can use up to ten values in this field, and it's how you classify the product, not tied to any specific restrictions.  

To directly answer your question, yes, I believe you can have multiple descriptive words in the pattern field, but the field is capped at 100 characters.  I think you'd want to separate with commas.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Ian,

Google will only recognize your submitted pattern value as one pattern, even if it's delimited by comma or something else. The pattern field is only required for all products in an item group that vary by pattern. For example, if you land visitors on a product page for a dress and you can select different patterns like "paisley", "striped", etc.

If this isn't the case for you then the pattern field is only recommended for items in which pattern is an important distinguishing attribute. Pattern is rarely seen as a filter on a Google Shopping results page so the pattern field itself doesn't have much value unless required. I would recommend that you just use the most common value for the pattern field and if you feel like it's an important descriptor of the item then add it to the end of the title. Adding additional values like "starfish" and "mermaids" wouldn't help.

Lastly, ensure that the image you submit matches your pattern. It's possible for your products to be disapproved if the "sharks" aren't obvious so that's another thing to consider with your strategy.

More information here: https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/188494?hl=en
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Top Contributor, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Jim - the patterns are unique for each product page - so if we have 4 prints we have 4 product pages rather than one product page with pattern options. So sounds like the pattern field could well be redundant in our case.
Ian

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Ian,

If that's the case then pattern certainly isn't required and I wouldn't worry too much about the value used. If you Google your general product and pattern is one of the filters then I would try to match to a common value there, otherwise I'd tack it onto the end of your product title. Doesn't hurt to submit a pattern but likely won't help much either.
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Top Contributor, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
From reading all the replies I think there is something not covered yet because of more information you supplied.

It is good practice to add required attributes but also optional attributes that define your product. But there is a difference to what I think you are trying to do and what you should do.
Each product is unique, you can not submit variant colors to one product, instead you need to submit each variant as a variant using the item_group_id field. You can than add the pattern of each product to the individual submission.

So taking your example in to action, 4 products all being variants must have each a unique ID and the same item group id, than submitted with the correct pattern.

If for example you submit 4 products without the pattern field, than you are in violation of the policy. Each variant must be submitted with at least one of the following 5 fields.

Color
material
size
Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’