AdWords
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Google shopping auctions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We advertise with google Adwords for some years now but started with google Shopping recently.

We recently started an account in Portugal selling sunglasses. Google shopping just started there so there is almost no competition from other advertisers.

We launched the campaign this week and...nothing, no impressions. We contacted Google chat, that told us that the bid was too low and needed to go to upper than 0,4€ . He checked and all the rest is fine.

What I don't understand is that we have an account in the UK selling outdoor apparel and when we started the avg CPC was 0,18£ strait out of the first day. And we now sell regularly at 0,10£. This is in the UK where the competition is very high.

So how come in Portugal we need 0,4€ to get any impressions at all? If there are no competitors, theoretically we would get always a auction slot even at max cpc of 0.01€ right? 

Can anyone here explain me better? 

Thanks

Google shopping auctions

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Did you test by increasing​ the bid?  They may be right.  shopping ads might also be competing with normal text ads and  practically you can not show ads for .1 if there are no other advertiser. 

Google shopping auctions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I did increase and started to get some impressions but not many.

However the guys at Google chat said that the normal text ads are not connected to google shopping and run separate auctions...
Can anyone confirm this?
Just trying to understand how this works because it's not very confortable to be spending money and not knowing the game your playing Smiley Wink

Thanks

Google shopping auctions

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

There is some unidentified "minimum adrank" necessary to accrue an impression. Since you don't know the QS side of the equation with shopping ads, the bid is your only other option to increase adrank. Regardless of what the CPC is, the end game is sales. You are going to have to experiment with shopping and find out whether or not it works for you.

If your search campaigns are generating a profitable ROI, but you are not getting 100% of the potential impression share - Then putting any additional budget first and foremost to the most profitable campaigns is going to return a higher ROI sooner. You don't know if something will work until you try it and find out. If you don't have the budget to experiment without "guaranteeing" a certain ROI, then you don't have any budget to experiment with. Smiley Happy

Tom