AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Google's Technical Issues with Disapproved Shopping Feeds?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

It started about a week ago for my shopping campaign. My current feed for my one and only product that I've been using for the past 3 years was all of a sudden "disapproved" due to policy violations. I call in and am told that it is a known issue and that the Google technical team is working on it. I'm assured that my feed is correct and that I'm in compliance with Google editorial policies. In the meantime, I've been advised to submit new feeds with "different verbiage" in order to trick the system into approving my feeds...seems a bit silly.

I use pharma terms in my shopping feed but have NABP certification and -again- have been using the same feed for years. I've called 3 times now and no updates or even speculation on how long it will take. Meanwhile, my competitors are happily displaying their Google shopping ads on my branded term which is a bit of a gut punch.

I know that this is a more nuanced technical issue but the fact that Google cannot manually approve my ad due to the fact that "the system won't let them" sounds like something out of The Terminator. Anyone else have this issue?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Google's Technical Issues with Disapproved Shopping Feeds?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

yes and this does indeed sound like
a currently known issue -- with no
official time frame for a fix.

what does sometimes function as a workaround
is to simply change the title, description, and id
of flagged items and resubmit the data-feed --
that is, removing or substituting suspected words
or phrases or adding words or phrases that might
offer a clearer context to the automated system.

note that required attributes must be submitted

to avoid an eventual disapproval or suspension

for a different policy issue.

yes, not all similar items from other merchants
or within the same feed are necessarily flagged,
depending on the details.

yes, there does not seem to be any
offer to override such disapprovals.

see also
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Ad-Approval-Policy/Pharma-is-automated-approval-broken/m-p/4...

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

yes and this does indeed sound like
a currently known issue -- with no
official time frame for a fix.

what does sometimes function as a workaround
is to simply change the title, description, and id
of flagged items and resubmit the data-feed --
that is, removing or substituting suspected words
or phrases or adding words or phrases that might
offer a clearer context to the automated system.

note that required attributes must be submitted

to avoid an eventual disapproval or suspension

for a different policy issue.

yes, not all similar items from other merchants
or within the same feed are necessarily flagged,
depending on the details.

yes, there does not seem to be any
offer to override such disapprovals.

see also
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Ad-Approval-Policy/Pharma-is-automated-approval-broken/m-p/4...

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
STILL not fixed. This is preposterous. With all of the extremely well paid engineers at Google, they cannot find one that can manually override a disapproval...within the span of a month and change??? This is truly pathetic.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Contrary to multiple emails I have received from Google, I spoke with someone in the Merchant center "dept" and they said the automated system was "working just fine". I asked him why my feed that I had been using for 3 years was disapproved all of a sudden, he intimated that the system was "doing its job". I have uploaded at least 30 different variations on product ID, product description...everything and I'm still getting disapproved.

Even though Google has officially acknowledged that this is a technical issue and even though I'm adhering to editorial guidelines, I'm still getting disapproved yet somehow the "automated system is working just fine". The more I talk to Google, the more I get responses like the one above that make very little sense. "Try uploading feeds with different parameters even though we have absolutely no clue why your feed is being disapproved by our automated system that is working just fine".

BUT. "Be careful because if you submit too many feeds that get disapproved for unknown reasons" your account can get suspended.

Bear in mind that all of my competitors are using the exact same language and have been approved and running even though they do not have NABP approval to use pharma terms. I do have NABP approval.

In the absence of any reasonable explanation, I would suggest that I'm somehow being singled out which is extremely frustrating...

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

generally, automated disapprovals are separate from the nabp guidelines --
and may take into account other factors such as variant policies, the website,
link landing-page, and all language or words within the feed.

yes, too many disapprovals can result in suspension.

unfortunately, forum members cannot look into the feed or account --
however, posting more exact information here in the public forum,
such as exact messages, screen-captures, exact feed entries, website
landing-page details, etc., may allow us to offer more exact suggestions.

[ minus any private, personal, identifiable information ]

that said, there are other ad-formats and
campaign-types that might be an alternative.
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722124

see also
https://support.google.com/merchants/bin/answer.py?answer=6103800
https://support.google.com/merchants#topic=3404779
http://celebird.blogspot.com/2011/12/celebird-product-search-disapproval.html#checklist

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I appreciate the explanation on the variety of other factors involved in Google Shopping feeds approvals. However, this does not address the explanation that Google -and you- provided which was a "Technical error" on Google's part. I know you're not "officially" a Google employee. This has always been categorized as a technical issue that has yet to be resolved.

So when I get conflicting information that suggests there is something wrong with what I am doing, it makes things even more frustrating. If Google is having trouble then they need to get it fixed in a timely manner...again, lots of engineers in Google that should be able to fix the system. If I am doing something wrong then why can't they just tell me so that I can comply?

So I'm confused...is it a problem with Google as I have been told repeatedly (and in writing)? Or is it my feed? If I posted my feed as you suggest, I already know what you would say..."you might want to remove any terms that could potentially violate Google pharma guidelines" And then you would provide a link to pharma guidelines which I know by heart.

My site has not changed nor have my landing pages so it certainly cannot be that. But again, isn't this a Google problem? The real "problem" with this whole thing is that I'm wasting time even posting questions or talking to Google reps because it will NEVER make any sense and will only frustrate me more.

If Google suggested to me that there are "other platforms to consider advertising on" that would be extremely offensive for someone who has spent millions of dollars on PCC over the past 5 years with them. And no, I'm not going to suggest this is a paltry sum for a company as large as Google...I spend far far less with Apple and they are more than willing to help me when I have an issue.

I'm a good customer and I should be treated as such. Ultimately, Google should HELP me spend money with them. They should help me fix my problem so that I can advertise on Google shopping just like my competitors...they should at least give me the impression that they give a s#$t. With Amazon and FB taking an ever-increasing amount of my budget, now more than ever Google needs to take care of its loyal customers. I must admit, my loyalty is waning due to these types of incidents.

Nevertheless, thanks for the help.

Google's Technical Issues with Disapproved Shopping Feeds?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey George,

Just reading your comments and frustration, and although this was some 3 years ago - did you manage to get an outcome?

I ask because I suddenly have the same issue..!