AdWords
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Google feed and configurable products

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I have searched on this forum, but found so many answers I am actually confused Smiley Happy  Easily done!! 

We have a magento feed into Google Merchant Center. 

This feed contains configurable products. 

We are getting errors on the variation of the product.  The two variations are Black and White - color is the only variation. 

These two variations are 'not visible individually' which is standard magento setting for a variation on a product.  

But in Google Merchant centre, both have an error 'missing description' plus the URL is not found, but it is 'not visible individually' 

Now what I am confused about is, if I make the variation searchable, it would probably solve my problems, but should I be included variations in the 'product feed' should I just include the configurable product and Google will pick up there is two options? 

2 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

only physical inventory items should ever be submitted.

the choices are to either (a) submit only one of the variants --
typically, the default variant listed on the page or (b) submit
each physical variant separably, following all google's rules
and policies for supported-variants (detailed-product-attributes).

each variant item submitted from a group must submit
an identical item_group_id value at at least one variant
attribute value (size, color, pattern, material) that is
unique among all items within the variant-group

only (variant) items that are physically in current,
on-hand, inventory should be submitted as in stock.

the price of the (variant) item submitted must match the landing-page price.

for specific details on how to implement google's policies
within magento the best likely course is to contact whoever
is currently supporting the specific version of magento that
is being used or, to post in a magento community forum.

see also
https://community.magento.com/
https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/188494#item_group_id
https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/1347943
https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/1344057
https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/160161

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok thanks for pasting your answer for previous questions.

But there is far too much information 

I am loking for should I display all my variations or just the main umbrella product

If I do that how will Google know about my white and black variations of the produxt.

If I could just ask for short answers as I build my understanding of the processes and my understanding of the terminology 

Many thanks

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

first, you're welcome.

if the item is configurable (has variants) --

(1) yes -- submit only the physical products (configured variants);

(2) never submit the main/parent/umbrella item -- that is not allowed.

for details and followup issues, the best likely course

would be to contact whoever is supporting magento

on the website, or post in the magento-forums.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hello Rob, you need to set the visibility to catalog, search or catalog and search in Magento, otherwise it will not work.

This means that the individual variant product link is accessible, if this is set to not visible, the link shows a 404 error page.

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Emmanuel, 

Many thanks for that and apologise for the dely in responding, I have been away.  I thought changing the viability of variant product in magento would then disrupt organic SEO as it would lead to massive amounts of duplicate content? 

Or maybe I just not thinking right? Basically changing the visibility is not an issue at all?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Celebird

Many thanks for the clarification.  I will change the feed.  and double check the changing of visibility of variants on Magento. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Did you ever get this working? I am not a big fan of turning on the individual landing pages for SEO reasons as well, but it sounds like that may be the only viable solution.

Thanks,

Tim

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm facing a similar issue with Configurable Products within Magento where the simples all have variable pricing (same product different sizes of varnish). We are getting errors of incorrect pricing of these products - 

ie. Click on a 5 litre can of varnish from the feed but land on the page and show the from price which would be significantly less as you can buy a 1 litre variant from the same landing page. 

What is the solution as I can see several other Magento sites that are doing this exact thing. Reverting these to simple only products seems illogical and defeats the purpose of having configurables in the first place. 

Thanks, Alastair

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I can tell you what did not work. I tried creating a parameter that changes the variation dropdown + updates price on page load (e.g., https://www.petjunkie.com/summit-raised-dog-bowl.html?size=44oz). This was the recommendation I read many places. Disapprovals actually increased after this.

Currently I am setting up my variations to be visible by Search (and therefore have their own links/landing pages). I have not yet worked out the best way to handle organic SEO because there will be a lot of duplicate content. I will likely end up finding a way to mark these pages noindex. 

I can update with my findings but it will probably take a few days.

Thanks,

Tim