AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Google adwords to suspend account if we don't remove ALL IP blocks, even if we don't advertise there

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We only advertise in the US and have blocked countries that constantly try to hack and scrape content; china, Ukranine etc.
We are told by google that reviewers from any country needs to access our site or the account will be suspended.
-Why is it that for google it is OK to keep the guards down so that they don't have to pay for American reviewers?
-The policy only mentions that ADs need to land on a page without 3,4 errors.
-This seems so wrong.
-Why does google care so little for their customers? They have no intention of finding a middle ground.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Google adwords to suspend account if we don't remove ALL IP blocks, even if we don't advertise there

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Bob A;

This is a long standing policy by Google for various reasons. The site must be accessible  from any location, because Google might crawl the site from servers based in various data-centers.

" Your site or app must work properly for all locations, regardless of where you're targeting your ad."

Read more:

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6368661?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Oh, I understand. The policy has been cited and read before.

There is a policy. It's a bad policy and if a person/company is not in our situation it is hard to convey how wrong it is.
There has to be a middle ground. Either let any country scrape your content and constantly attack your site or close your AdWords account and see your business drop.

When our customers ask us to fix something we listen.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Google provides a mechanism for registering complaints and suggestions relating to AdWords:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/176378?hl=en

Google is a rational company and very fair.  They are also responsive to their customers. There are many considerations which go into the definition of each of their policies, and it is not a perfect process; tradeoffs have to be made.  

I am quite confident that Google has extremely sound, well considered reasons for requiring that web pages connected to AdWords PPC campaigns must be fully visible on the world wide web (www). 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Bob

frustrating as it is whole territory blocking is the policy - i managed to compromise by sourcing some 3rd party software that manage to block the malicious traffic even from ghost IPs. relatively cheap SaaS solutions are around. 

Frustrating as it is the policy is in place for lots of good reasons

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thx. Finally a constructive suggestion.

Hopefully you'll have time for a couple of questions.

1- What if this solution blocks, let's say India. Wouldn't the Google testers from India be blocked as well?

2- Or it doesn't block the IP, but just the traffic?
3- Any risk that this solution may flag the tester's activity?

4- Any idea what the rational is for that policy, beside being cheap to hide Indian testers?

Thank you.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Bob

The solution i implemented succeeded in  identify and prevent "bad" traffic, Scrapping DDoS etc. - not from a whole territory so it was fine. They have a database of "bad" traffic sources and update in real time being a SaaS solution it is maintained by them - no negative impact on the website performance . It does not block whole territories. 

Google want to ensure that there offering is a "global" offering and that it is beneficial to all users. irrespective of your location. In my view -  in the main this works very well and provides a truly "global" market place for research, purchasing etc. 

suggest that you do a "google" search for terms such as DDoS protection and see if you can find a suitable solution - clearly you will need to be comfortable with a positive response to your above questions .... frustrating times for you .. good luck

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I appreciate it.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hello Bob, here is my suggestion.

I'm just giving this as an example so for each server its different. I run Linux with a management system called Plesk, now this system allows you to add something called spam assassin. This tool blocks all known bad crawlers and than some.

Instead of blocking by country, simply use a well kept and updated database system that blocks harmful crawlers

Maybe use something like cloudflare

To everyone, this is not advertising, I'm just helping the merchant find its way Smiley Happy

hope it helps

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

To Steve B.

As far as being a fair company.

I removed any possible filter and blocks leaving the site wide open.
I just got an email from the review team. Apparently they had reviewed the site twice during our filter removal. Most likely they will not test the site for the third time and the account will be suspended.

So much for being fair. All it shows to us is that google used to be a fair company but is now too big, rude and arrogant.

I take it you haven't been in our position.