AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Google Shopping showing conversion that never happened

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In Adwords it shows that a certain item was purchased through my Google Shopping Campaign, however it was not. Google Shopping shows the exact UPC of the item that was supposedly purchased, but that item has not been purchased online. The two other recent conversions are correct, however. Why is Google making up a conversion that never happened?  

3 Expert replyverified_user

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Grant, 

Thanks for reaching out. 

The conversion details are pulled from the e-commerce tag you have installed on your site. If the information is inaccurate, I recommend checking your code to make sure it is set up correctly. Here is a setup guide to help you troubleshoot. 

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Please remember that not because an ad is clicked means this product is purchased. A customer can buy something completely different or multiple qty etc...

As Tina mentioned double check your conversion tracking.

You can also setup a more advanced tracking with Google Analytics, however normally Adwords conversion tracking does what it needs to do when correctly added to the thank you page.

Hope it helps

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Re: Google Shopping showing conversion that never happened

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Is there a way to see if someone clicked on an ad for one product but
purchased another?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Yes, there is, but it involves Google Analytics as well. You need to check the Product Performance report in Analytics and add either the ad group, or the landing page (depending on your structure), while also filtering for clicks from a shopping campaign.

That way you can see what product did the shopper land on when she purchased a certain product.

Also, please note that AdWords and Analytics are not recording the same date when it comes to conversions. A shopping click today that translates into a conversion tomorrow (from a subsequent direct visit to the website) is recorded today in AdWords and tomorrow in Analytics.

Hope it helps.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.