AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Google Shopping product impressions dropped from hundreds to 0 hour-to-hour

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We've run a Google Shopping campaign successfully for years. Yesterday, our impressions dropped to half the number that we've been consistent with for 3 years now. Today they were tracking that same half number, until 2pm this afternoon, where impressions dropped from a few hundred per hour to 0-2 per hour. I am unable to view my ad myself on any device checking any of our most popular keywords.

I have no errors on my product feed, merchant center, or adwords account. Our product feed, website, adwords settings, and merchant account settings have seen no changes whatsoever for multiple weeks. What could cause this? What do I do to fix it?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

In case you haven't already, also check the Product Status column in AdWords (Products tab).

Although it is unlikely to cause such a rapid decline, keep in mind that AdWords is dynamic, and Shopping uses a lot of AI to decide which products to show. A change in that AI or different bids / prices of your competitors, or a new competitor, could be behind it.

Or it could just be a glitch that comes right in due course.

You can call AdWords Support and ask them about it.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

All of my products are listed as Ready to Serve.

I was already in a frenzy after having our impressions (and clicks) drop by 50% overnight from Tuesday to Wednesday. Continuing to track those lower numbers for Thursday was bad; seeing all product ads immediately disappear at 2pm like a switch flipped was worse.

I will call Adwords tomorrow, but in ten years I've never been able to speak with a representative who did more than quote me the help articles. I was hoping to get some informed opinions here first. Thank you very much for your help.

Re: Google Shopping product impressions dropped from hundreds to 0 hour-to-hour

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

there are a myriad of conditions that may result in
a sudden, catastrophic, impression drop -- related
to both internal and external forces.

forum-members can mainly offer suggestions based
on the information and details posted here in public --
posting more specific information may allow others
to offer more specific suggestions.

regardless, assuming there are no technical or structural issues to address --
there are fundamentally only two ways to improve impression performance

in the auctions; either increase the bid, or improve quality over time, or both.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have the same problem. Our impressions are 1/3 of what they normally are and spend is proportionately lower as well - 1/3 of what we normally spend on a day.

I'm not sure there is much to fix. I saw on some forums people talking about YouTube carousels that may be attracting eyeballs away from our product ads. This is not good. Hopefully the YouTube carousel is just a test, because if it isn't then I don't see product ads driving many sales. Today was horrible for us.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

details for creating a truview-for-shopping-campain --

product carousel on youtube -- from the inventory data

already submitted for shopping-ads, are currently here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6303978

shopping-ads are not just on google-shopping.

merchants bidding higher on better performing shopping-ad formats,

or targeting multiple, different, ad-networks, are certainly two external

forces that may influence impressions related to shopping-ads.