AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Google Shopping conversion count when multiple items in cart

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear community,

we have a retail webshop where users often buy more than one product at the same time. In AdWords, a puchase like that of course counts as one conversion, no matter how many items the user buys. In AdWords, you can also see which products (more exactly the product ids) have got the most conversions by navigating to "Campaign > Ad group > Product Group > Products" and then sort the list according to the most conversions. So far so good.

Now, if a user buys product A, B and C at the same time, only one of the three products "gets" the conversion (the conversion value however is the total value of all three products). I have two questions about this:

1) Which product will be credited with this conversion? Product A, B or C? I guess the product the user first added to the cart?

2) Can I somewhere in AdWords (or Analytics) see, which products are the best converting/selling products?  I mean, it could be that product C is sold a lot (for instance as a complementary product), but you can't tell, because all the conversion credit goes to product A and B etc.

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lars J
October

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Correct, that is how it works within Adwords.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

1) The last ad that triggered a conversion

2) I recommend looking at your eCommerce statistics to find out your best selling products

You can also setup Google Analytics to see the flow and other such data.

Hope it helps

Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello, Lars. Here's how things happen: it's not the "product" that gets the conversion, it's the ad for that product. So if the buyer clicks an ad for A and ends up buying X, it means that he was interested in A (which is why he searched for something that triggered its ad) but somewhere along the way, either as they browsed your site or some other sources of information, they decided they don't want A anymore. Luckily though, they bought X (instead of leaving empty handed). This is something that happens every day, in real life and also online. And if we're good at our game, X brings us more margin Smiley Wink. Or A plus something extra (B and C).

For product / assortment related insights, Google Analytics, as Emmanuel says, is where to look.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Google Shopping conversion count when multiple items in cart

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

About 2) Thanks, I will check this in Analytics.

About 1) I am aware of how it works, but let me specify my question a bit. Please check the screenshot below:

conversion.png

You find this overview on the product level of your shopping campaign. You can see the product id related to each conversion. Lets look at the first line. The product costs 124,50 DKK but the conversion has a value of 298 DKK. This means that conversion contains another product(s) (and shipping costs etc.). But you can't see these products anywhere in AdWords. And I guess we just have to accept that (and then use Analytics to find this information).

But does this also mean that even though the shopping ad for the product in the first line above led to the conversion, it doesn't necessarily mean that that conversion actually contains that product in the end? And AdWords would still show the conversion next to this specific product id though it wasn't part of the (conversion) purchase?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

2) This is called cross sale, where one ad (google shopping product) led to a sale of a different product. This is very common and great that you have this. You also have up sale, this is where a someone clicked on the ad which was the cheaper model or version, than chooses a more expensive or different product.

As indicated before, not because someone clicks on an ad, means that is the product you are going to buy. As also perfectly exampled by Adwiser using a physical store as an example. Not because your mannequins has a yellow t-shirt, means people will buy a yellow t-shirt, they might buy a polo, or a red t-shirt.

What I recommend is to investigate with Google Analytics as for Adwords, there is no such data you can find to see what click sold what item. It might be part of the order, might not be.

Hope it helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks a lot for the promt answer.

So I guess what you say its two times yes to these two questions:

"But does this also mean that even though the shopping ad for the product in the first line above led to the conversion, it doesn't necessarily mean that that conversion actually contains that product in the end? And AdWords would still show the conversion next to this specific product id though it wasn't part of the (conversion) purchase?"

Right? :-)

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lars J
October

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Correct, that is how it works within Adwords.