AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Google Shopping and AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What's the difference between AdWords and Google Shopping?  Why would we need both?

Thanks. -Phil

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Shopping and AdWords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Phil,

Google Adwords and Google Shopping are both products of Google for business owners. Adwords is an advertising platform wherein your ads can be shown on Google Search Network and Google Display Network, which is huge and could prove profitable if used effectively. In order to understand more about what Adwords is, you can refer to this PDF for details.

Addtionally, you can read topics from starting in this reference.

Google Shopping is another product where you can submit your products free of cost so that users online could find it and do the online shopping. For more details on this you can refer to this article which explains about this and other products of Google.

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the prompt reply.  We use both now, but there are changes coming that are going to combine the results of both, and I want to know the advantages of keeping both programs or if that is necessary.  Right now, we can control when are where ads are shown in AdWords, but in GShopping, our ads run 24/7, even when the store is closed.  I'm afraid that when the two are merged our ads will lead to clicks when we're not open (a lot of this client's sales require phone conversations).  How are two going to work together this fall?

Thanks -P

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again Phil,

I think I understand what you are referring to. As per Google's official announcement in their blog quote below:

"First, we are starting to transition Google Product Search in the U.S. to a purely commercial model built on Product Listing Ads. This new product discovery experience will be called Google Shopping and the transition will be complete this fall. We believe that having a commercial relationship with merchants will encourage them to keep their product information fresh and up to date. Higher quality data—whether it’s accurate prices, the latest offers or product availability—should mean better shopping results for users, which in turn should create higher quality traffic for merchants."

Hope that makes more sense now!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Group41
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Pankaj, do you know if/how AdWords and Google Products will combine? 

-Phil

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Group41
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello again Phil,

Product Listing Ads (PLAs) are indeed vital part of Adwords and could assist greatly in terms of sales, orders for the website.

You will have to create account in Google merchant center and link it with Adwords in order to create PLAs.

Another feature is Product Extensions where your normal text ad is appended with your product and additional features depending upon the product feed which you create in Merchant Center account. You can read more about it here.

Read more about PLAs in this informative article which talks about various ways of creating campaigns around PLAs.

Best of Luck!

Pankaj