AdWords
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Google Shopping Results Removed When Searching From A Foreign Country

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 1
Rising Star

Normally when for example you are on google.co.uk or google.com and you search for a product, you will get an option to choose Shopping, among others such as web, images, videos etc...

As of today from all foreign countries it has been removed.

If I take Google's policy to the letter, it actually means they are violating there own policy as they clearly state you are not aloud to block based on country. Now that is exactly what Google is doing.

This might be a bug, but it has never happened before until today.

And no, I'm not doing anything wrong, I have been using Google for 10 years or more and know what to expect.

I'm located in Thailand and did not see this happen before. Tested in different browsers.

Even going to google.com/shopping and clicking on 1 of the categories, results in nothing to be displayed. Which before always showed products.

Just to emphasize, in the image below the shopping tab should be there or under the dropdown more, this is a screencap from adwords preview, but the official results are identical.

2016-11-03_13-01-09.jpg

Hopefully they can fix this.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Shopping Results Removed When Searching From A Foreign Country

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

shopping-ads are influenced by user-behavior and relevancy --
targeting is set by advertisers, using a target-country in the
merchant-center, campaign-settings in a linked ad-account,
and to some extent, google's currency-conversion-feature.

shopping-ad search-results that are nearly identical for a user,
without regard to the google/shopping domain being used,

seems to have been slowly rolling-out over the last few weeks --

likely based on google's data-center activity, internal business

decisions, or similar set of factors; the action looks intentional.

of course, google is constantly experimenting with

ad-results and ad-features -- so this may simply be

a short-term issue or event.

currently, the landing-page requirements for merchants and shopping-ads
have not changed; the same landing-page details must be shown regardless
of device, browser, or any user-identifiable information -- or is otherwise a
policy violation, and grounds for disapproval or suspension, at any time.

that said, so far, google seems to have
not commented publicly on the matter.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hello Celebird,

Thanks for the reply. To comment on your reply.

The first paragraph is not relevant to the issue, as you will be able to see at least 1 product regardless of influence

Nice to know this, in this case I should still be able to see a result and not an empty page

Agree, but not relevant to what is happening to me

Below two images of google.co.uk/shopping from my country (thailand)

googleshopping1.jpggoogleshopping2.jpg

Even using a VPN from US and UK shows me that the shopping tab has disappeared, and as you can see I can see shopping ads. So something has happened that Google for some reason is not showing that anymore.

safesearch1.jpgsafesearch2.jpg

Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

first, you're welcome.

the first point was simply an introduction to emphasize

that advertisers can still set targeting and user behavior
is still involved overall -- it was understood that this was
not specifically relevant to this particular case.

attached below are some additional results, for the original

search-term, in a few other locations, using various google

domains, including thailand -- but no empty pages so far.

the empty-pages may be a separate issue altogether --
since google tends to attempt a rough-measure result
at relevancy, even if there are no identical matches;
that is rather fundamental to most of their algorithms.

that said, only google has overall access to ad-targeting details.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Fully understand what your trying to do. Much appreciated as always. Hopefully this simply a temp issue or test they are doing.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

first, thank you for the kind words.

the next time a blank-page appears, try placing the mouse-cursor at the end

of the url in the browser's address-bar and hitting the return/enter key --
then, check for a message similar to:

Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. Please try your request again later.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Emmanuel,

just to let you know that I have the same behaviour, since some days I can not have results from google.shopping.co.uk when I ask from France. (not for all products, for some products I still have results).

I also constated what Celebird said about that google doesn't look at the domain (.co.uk) and display result from your country and not from uk ( since several weeks)

some months ago, I also constated that : when I asked for google.shopping.co.uk from France, the shipping cost wasn't displayed. but addin "?near=london" in the url fix the issue and I was able to display again the shipping cost.

So maybe with adding a parameter in the url can fix the issue... 

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

@Celebird, I have tried this but don't get any messages, just a blank page after selecting a category.

@Géric C This might be the case, a little strange that they implement this thought.

What you say now starts to make sense, although little disappointed this is how it now works.

As it kind of conflicts with there own policy that where ever you are in the world a merchant can not block a landing page, which is what they are doing. I will have to start using a VPN to avoid this silly new issue.

Thanks all for the great answers

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I also noticed this annoying issue. I'm getting a blank page for any search on google.com/shopping. I'm located in another country. This is very annoying.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am stationed overseas in Japan and used Google shopping on a regular basis to find online vendors and compare prices for products stateside.  Ever since a few days ago, I can no longer get any US or worldwide online vendors to show up when I search for any products using Google Shopping.  Search results are limited to Japanese vendors only.  I have tired using google.com/ncr and then going into shopping, but still end up with the same results. I have also tried multiple browsers (FF, Chrome, IE, Opera) to no avail and have cleared cookies and web history in each of the browsers as well as turning off location sharing, but that did not attain any results.  It did change the location at the bottom of the search page to "unknown" but I still only end up getting Japanese results to the shopping searches.  Have now tried multiple different computers from different networks both in a non-logged in status as well as logged into my google account but still end up with Japanese vendors only.  Am looking for a work around so I can see the stateside online vendors again.