AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Google Shopping Negative Keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys,

Cant seem to find a definitive answer to this question!

So, lets say I have two campaigns, one lets call "Designer A" the other we can call "Designer B."

Designer A sells Plus size clothing which includes dresses, looking at search term reports, I am matching on search terms such as [formal dresses] and [cocktail dresses Australia] - I guess the dresses terms are matching to plus size dresses from the feed?

Now, Designer B sells non plus size dresses, If I were to add an exact match negative to "Designer A" ([formal dresses]), would that search term still be picked up in Designer B campaign? Or would that be the end of the funnel and that user's search term stops there?

Obviously there are some chances that it will be picked up in Designer B, but I want all traffic for that search term to go Designer B

Basically I am not sure if shopping campaigns work in a similar way to Search Campaigns, by negativing out a keyword from one ad group, another ad group will be able to pick this up - even if it is in another campaign

Thanks

Jamie

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Shopping Negative Keywords

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Jamie,

The negative keywords in Shopping act the same way as in a Search Campaign.

https://support.google.com/ds/answer/4601299?hl=en
Add negative keywords to an AdWords Shopping campaign

You can use negative keywords at the ad group level of a Shopping campaign to limit the searches for which your ads will show.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your reply Eric,

So if add [formal dresses] as a negative to Designer A, all traffic will therefore go to Designer B?

Jamie

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Jamie

Theoretically yes.

One hiccup may be if you have these groups in Different Campaigns and one campaign is set in the setting as Campaign Priority High.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
To further reply on Eric's answers.

What I would do is if the categories are so different and you want different negative keywords. Than create an ad group per category. This is called ad group subdivisions.

When adding multiple ad groups make sure you exclude the rest of the categories if they hold products that you don't want in that ad group.

Otherwise they will overlap.

But that is what I would do Smiley Happy
Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’