AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4K members online now
4K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Google Shopping / Inventory Filters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to segment my products at a higher level (into campaigns) and want to use the inventory filters to do so.

My question is: If I have one campaign that does not have an inventory filter (all products are targeted, call it "ALL PRODUCTS") and then I add a campaign where I only want to target one "Brand", and create a appropriate inventory filter, will that Brand (call it "Nike") still serve ads in the "ALL PRODUCTS" campaign or does it pull those sku's out?

Basically I want to create a campaign that only contains products of one brand and that brand is excluded from the other campaigns, using inventory filters and not product groups.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

yes it will.

Normally to separate campaigns you use subdivisions instead of inventory filters. As it grants you greater setup and control. You can read more about it here : https://support.google.com/google-ads/answer/6275317

So if you want to target the brand Nike, then simply subdivide the ad group using the brand and exclude everything else, and do the same for all other brands.

Hope this helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The only odd thing I see is in the main/original campaign, if you go to the products tab the brands that I have segmented out using the inventory filter still appear with a 'ready to serve' status.

I would normally use the product groups, but our campaign structure is structured by other attributes before brand and it would be onerous to exclude that brand from all of the leaves of the product group tree.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

As far as I know, the products tab show all products.

To know which products are active in the ad group, click on the name of the top level subdivision, then at the bottom of the popup click on the link to view all products within that ad group.

Hope this helps.

Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It seems that even though I have added a new campaign with a inventory filter for a particular brand, other campaigns that have no inventory filters (all products) are still serving that brand (product status = "Ready to Serve").  It also seems that those campaigns continue to accumulate impressions and clicks throughout the day.

Is there any way to avoid this?  do  I need to create a product customer variable for all products and filter all campaigns on that value?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

As mentioned in the first reply, yes what you are experiencing is the way campaigns work. What you are trying to do can not be achieved using inventory filters.

You will need to use subdivisions.

Campaign 1 : add all subdivision brands except Nike and exclude everything else.

Campaign 2 : add subdivision for Nike only and exclude everything else.

This will work as expected.

Hope this helps.

Re: Google Shopping / Inventory Filters

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

(a) in the previous-user-interface the products-tab in the ad-account
shows all items submitted for the target-country/country-of-sale --
the view is mainly a convenience, as a peek into the merchant-center.

a table-filter may be applied to the ad-account's products-tab,
to see the equivalent results of the inventory-filter-settings.

in the new-experience-user-interface an equivalent table-filter should
be applied to the products-tab as soon as an inventory-filter is applied --

automatically by google.

(b) a campaign-level inventory-filter effectively removes all non-matching
products from all product-groups, at the instant that the filter is applied.

the product-groups table should note that the list is filtered.

(c) for example, if an inventory-filter has been applied to a brand value,
then any product-group based on brand will become irrelevant; all products
not matching the filter-brand-value will be removed from the product-group,
regardless of any product-group settings.

(d) the more typical method to implement a bidding strategy is by product-group.

(e) inventory-filters are design mainly to quickly create a subset of submitted
items, to implement an preset bidding strategy that was created using multiple
product-groups, within a new shopping-campaign -- e.g. a separate campaign
for all refurbished musical instruments, as an inventory filter, with configured
product-groups to bid higher on strings and lower on percussion instruments.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes.  This is all correct.

My original question is that if I set a filter in one campaign, call it campaign 1 and the filter is for Brand=Nike, and I have another campaign, call it campaign 2, with no filters, will both campaigns serve Nike products?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Including a filter brand = nike will mean that you include it for that specific campaign.

When you do not use a filter on another campaign, it means all products will be included.

So yes both campaigns will show products brand nike.

If you want to achieve your goals, the only way is to follow my previous example.

Hope this helps.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

such an inventory-filter value is inclusive not exclusionary --
a filter of brand equals nike includes only items that match:
only nike branded items; all other products are filtered-out;
no inventory-filter equates to all products.

so yes, for the example, both campaigns will serve nike products.

as was indicated, the best likely course is to use
product-groups to implement such bidding strategies.