AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Google Shopping GTIN day of reckoning

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

On May 16, items that Google said required a GTIN were suppose to be fixed or risked being kicked out of the merchant center. We have gotten most of our clients to find the GTINs but there are some stragglers. They are still live in shopping but the warning is there. Has anyone seen disapproval yet or issues with their MC given this update? Is it rolling out slowly?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Shopping GTIN day of reckoning

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
You can guarantee that it will be rolled out slowly, otherwise support staff will be overwhelmed.

We manage dozens of accounts with Shopping campaigns and none have had any GTIN issues so far - although there's bound to be some one day.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
As per 16th May, you have 30 days to fix issues before the product is disapproved.

I believe it's mentioned in Googles Policy Notice, however can not find it. Just ensure to add a GTIN when the manufacturer has assigned one, and fix all errors and warnings in the diagnostics and data feed report.

Hope it helps.
Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
I haven't seen the 30 day notice. By now I wonder if this may end up ad the Mobile Site storm Google created, asking everyone to have a mobile site or to be thrown off organic but they actually did not carry it out. After all disapproving many small third party sellers who may not have access to Manufacturer GTIN's will mean losing revenue.

Will wait & see I guess.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
@RobSkelton Yeah I am guessing the roll out will be slow as Google checks each of these individuals. We have a lot of clients in Google Shopping with a couple dozen who were unable to resolve their GTIN issue so we will be keeping a close eye.

I did not see a 30 day notice either, I felt the original 90 day notice was suffice. That is why I thought May 16th was going to be a day of reckoning. The original GTIN notice came out in early February I believe.

My thoughts is GTIN isn't as widely accepted with manufacturers as Google would like it to be. So it was and still is very difficult for these sellers to get the information for thousands of products. When Google saw how little progress was made, it didn't get rolled out since it possibly could have had a large impact on their revenue stream. But for now, only time will tell. Fingers crossed.

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
Exactly my thoughts. Will wait and see. Have a few of my clients with fingers crossed too.

Let's not forger Google had an initial list of 50 brands out last year. For these 50 they kept to promise items without GTIN got booted.

Possible Google underestimated the effect of such a move as you pointed out.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Yeah with rolling this expectation out to all recognized brands might have been too much. Especially since we have come across some interesting issues - customized name brand products specific to that store but the established brand does not create GTINs for those items specific. Think exclusive items sold at certain big box stores but at a much larger scale in the thousands.

I am sure there are hundreds if not thousands of instances like this that Google has started to realize. The transition to eCommerce still has a lot of growing pains for many retailers.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey hey,

The 30 day rule seems to be true. I received a Google info doc stating that all EXISTING products in a feed get a 30 day period after the update goes (now went) live on 16 May, in which they need to find their missing GTIN values.

However all NEW products added to a feed from now on need to have the GTIN included from the get go in order to appear in search results.

Of course, this only applies to the relevant products & countries. 

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner
Indeed seems wheels are rolling I already have items at 1 client disapproved for missing GTIN & that is even before 30 days. Still remains to see if Google will bulk disapprove big account items.

Please keep posting updates, together will have a better sense on how it goes.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Yeah through checking merchant center this morning, the wheel has begun with one of our clients. About 70% of the items in question were disapproved. I have not been able to see if there is a pattern with the disapproval.