AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Google Shopping - Competition from Price comparison sites

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,  

After the antitrust fine against Google it's pretty obvious that price comparison sites are "stealing" a fair amount of the traffic for Google Shopping. The Shopping campaign for one of our clients has been declining both when it comes to revenue and clicks since Nov -17. 

The competing price comparison site (Kelkoo) are using the same product feed as we are and charges our client exactly 2 SEK ($0,24) per click, which is substantially lower than the CPC of 7,23 SEK ($0,88) that we are paying. However, Google Shopping clicks should only be a part of the total traffic coming from Kelkoo and the invoice does not specify volumes from all their types of traffic. Neither can we use GA to figure out how their traffic is divided between paid and organic sources. 

I'm trying to get my head around this and was hoping that anyone of you could shed some light as to how their business model is constructed.

So they are either giving a CPC discount (since they are driving both paid & organic traffic) to our client or actually paying less than we are for the same traffic. What do you guys think?  

Many thanks in advance! 

Best regards,

Marcus S

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

1) Not sure that is true, a decline in clicks has allot of other factors such as competition from other merchants, bidding, seasons, product pricing, data feed quality and so on. If you have statistical data to back up your claim, than sure you are right, but assuming one and knowing based on data are two different things.

2) Please note that you can only advertise once on Google Shopping, meaning if you submit a data feed to Kelkoo and they are advertising the clients products on Google Shopping, that it is a violation as per double serving and recommend you stop immediately and only advertise once.
3) As for who pays what, nobody will ever know. The only way is to ask Kelkoo. Which I doubt they will tell you.

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply. 

Potential double serving is alarming and i have to look into that. Are you sure the rules are the same with Google Shopping as for Text Ads, since one advertiser can have multiple Shopping ads next to each other?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Double serving is the same in Google Shopping, showing multiple similar products where they are unique is ok. But showing identical products on Google shopping is a violation. Be it from one merchant's account, one merchant via multiple marketplace in google shopping etc...

You can only submit 1 unique product per business.

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’