AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Google Shopping Ad Group Setup

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have recently set up a Shopping Campaign and I want to be able to create separate ad groups for my product categories. I have created my first ad group and segmented by product category. I can now set the max CPC for the individual category however I am left with an 'Everything else in All Products' product group. Is it just a case of excluding this in the max CPC section to have the ad group just apply for the selected category and then doing the same with all other ad groups? 

Or is there a different way of going about this?  I want to be able to run reports based on individual categories or promotions

Thanks in advance

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author steven r
May 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

You must exclude everything else on all top level hierarchy except the last one. Otherwise products will overlap in all ad groups.

Example :

Animals & Pet Supplies exclude everything else
Animals & Pet Supplies > Live Animals exclude everything else
Animals & Pet Supplies > Pet Supplies exclude everything else
Animals & Pet Supplies > Pet Supplies > Bird Supplies exclude everything else
Animals & Pet Supplies > Pet Supplies > Bird Supplies > Bird Cage Accessories use default bid in everything else

We want to bid for the last (deepest child, everything else) so that if in the future, if you add more products, you don't have downtime when you forgot to add them if you have segregated it down to item id.

If for example you do not exclude in Animals & Pet Supplies > Pet Supplies > Bird Supplies than you are also bidding for any child category, for example also for Bird Food.

Your way is the correct way to separate ad groups with categories, of course you can also use product type, brand, custom labels etc...

Hope it helps

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author steven r
May 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

You must exclude everything else on all top level hierarchy except the last one. Otherwise products will overlap in all ad groups.

Example :

Animals & Pet Supplies exclude everything else
Animals & Pet Supplies > Live Animals exclude everything else
Animals & Pet Supplies > Pet Supplies exclude everything else
Animals & Pet Supplies > Pet Supplies > Bird Supplies exclude everything else
Animals & Pet Supplies > Pet Supplies > Bird Supplies > Bird Cage Accessories use default bid in everything else

We want to bid for the last (deepest child, everything else) so that if in the future, if you add more products, you don't have downtime when you forgot to add them if you have segregated it down to item id.

If for example you do not exclude in Animals & Pet Supplies > Pet Supplies > Bird Supplies than you are also bidding for any child category, for example also for Bird Food.

Your way is the correct way to separate ad groups with categories, of course you can also use product type, brand, custom labels etc...

Hope it helps

Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Re: Google Shopping Ad Group Setup

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Emmanuel,

Thanks for the advice. I cannot see any way to exclude on top level categories, the option is not available. Please see below for how I have set this up, This is how i was thinking of doing it for each category so long as it is correct.shopping ads.PNG

Would the above just display products that fit in with the artificial flora category?

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Your screenshot is correct, and what you have done is basically what I tried to explain. Your good to go!

Not applicable
# 5
Not applicable

Yes, you just have to exclude the 'Everything else' product group it in the Max CPC section