AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Google Merchant Taxonomy

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

I want to generate product category automatically. But I am not able to find that page where whole category was available, you just had to put the product name there (like - pizza) and all pizza related category was getting listed.

PS- I have that excel sheet with all taxomony.

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rohit K
September 2015

Re: Google Merchant Taxonomy

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Rohit,

The auto generated taxonomy is no longer available on the help pages, instead there is two downloadable files, a plain text file and a downloadable excel file.

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/160081?hl=en

If you use the plain text file, it will open in another browser window, from here you can choose to ctrl +f and search for the product type you are looking for.

Alternatively,

A fellow top contributor @Celebird has a very similar tool to the one that was available at the link here - http://celebird-cloud.appspot.com/apps/celebird-taxonomy-app.html

Tom Wilson
Freelance Adwords & Google Shopping Consultant

If you find this or another response helpful within the forum "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Rohit

The .txt file can still be opened in excel. Right click on the file in its folder location and select open with - this will give you the option to open in excel, if not, you can open it from within excel by just file -  open, find the file and when it imports, it may as you to select the delimiters to divide the attributes. If so it is most commonly either that or comma or tab. 

You can always download the feed from the feed outcome area of your Google Merchant Center dashboard also.

When you have it opened, you can edit the file and re-upload to correct the errors. 

Whilst a few errors will not necessarily cause problems to the remaining items, it cant be guaranteed, as the cause of the errors may cause disapproval etc.. So it is always best to fix any outstanding errors.

Tom Wilson

If you find this or another response helpful within the forum "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Rohit,

Your product_type attribute can be what you deem relevant to your items, so for this, if your shopping cart or alternative pre-fills this for you then there is no immediate or possibly ever the need to change this. 

However, as for google_product_category, the need for this to be correct and relevant holds much more importance. There is no fast and easy way to complete this. You can work this out however. By choosing the first level and gradually extending this for each item when time permits. 

Be aware that correct categorisation of your items, allows your products to be found in relevant areas, allows for users to find your items with much more ease and also increases our Data Quality of your feed, which will in turn, provided with a competitive bid will increase your chances of appearing higher in results.

Speaking from a more personalised position, I currently map my customers product_types to the relevant taxonomy value for google_product_category, this allows any future items which may be added to the feed with the same product_type value to be mapped automatically, resulting in less time being needed to complete the attributes. If you have a web developer, you may wish to ask him, if he could also create something similar for you. 

If this is not possible, then starting small and working up would be the best solution for you, as google_product_category may be a required attribute, depending on item type  -

Google Product Category - Required

It is best to have this even at the lowest "branch" initially than not to have at all, as this will result in your items not showing due to missing required attributes. 

Tom Wilson

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Rohit,

The auto generated taxonomy is no longer available on the help pages, instead there is two downloadable files, a plain text file and a downloadable excel file.

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/160081?hl=en

If you use the plain text file, it will open in another browser window, from here you can choose to ctrl +f and search for the product type you are looking for.

Alternatively,

A fellow top contributor @Celebird has a very similar tool to the one that was available at the link here - http://celebird-cloud.appspot.com/apps/celebird-taxonomy-app.html

Tom Wilson

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Tom!!

One more question- I uploaded a feed with 250 items but 4 have error. Unfortunately I forgot to save the excel file but I have the text file.

Though Its under review but Apart from these 4 items with errors, will other 246 run without any problem? Or I need to create the feed again?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Rohit

The .txt file can still be opened in excel. Right click on the file in its folder location and select open with - this will give you the option to open in excel, if not, you can open it from within excel by just file -  open, find the file and when it imports, it may as you to select the delimiters to divide the attributes. If so it is most commonly either that or comma or tab. 

You can always download the feed from the feed outcome area of your Google Merchant Center dashboard also.

When you have it opened, you can edit the file and re-upload to correct the errors. 

Whilst a few errors will not necessarily cause problems to the remaining items, it cant be guaranteed, as the cause of the errors may cause disapproval etc.. So it is always best to fix any outstanding errors.

Tom Wilson

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello Tom,

Can you suggest me a quick way to assign the products "google product category" and "product type" while creating data-feed. I have 600+ products and they belong to different category. It is too long, checking one by one for all of them. Though few of them are similar.
What if I don't be so specific and put second level category name from Taxonomy

Thanks in Advance!!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Rohit,

Your product_type attribute can be what you deem relevant to your items, so for this, if your shopping cart or alternative pre-fills this for you then there is no immediate or possibly ever the need to change this. 

However, as for google_product_category, the need for this to be correct and relevant holds much more importance. There is no fast and easy way to complete this. You can work this out however. By choosing the first level and gradually extending this for each item when time permits. 

Be aware that correct categorisation of your items, allows your products to be found in relevant areas, allows for users to find your items with much more ease and also increases our Data Quality of your feed, which will in turn, provided with a competitive bid will increase your chances of appearing higher in results.

Speaking from a more personalised position, I currently map my customers product_types to the relevant taxonomy value for google_product_category, this allows any future items which may be added to the feed with the same product_type value to be mapped automatically, resulting in less time being needed to complete the attributes. If you have a web developer, you may wish to ask him, if he could also create something similar for you. 

If this is not possible, then starting small and working up would be the best solution for you, as google_product_category may be a required attribute, depending on item type  -

Google Product Category - Required

It is best to have this even at the lowest "branch" initially than not to have at all, as this will result in your items not showing due to missing required attributes. 

Tom Wilson

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I find the celebird tool with the tree not very clear. We use gootax.com

Google Merchant Taxonomy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom, 

Thank you for posting the link to the taxonomy. This is my first set up and I am not able to find the google product category. 

To be more specific, I am trying to load a feed on Vehicle Parts & Accessories > Grille Guard & Bull Bars > Bull Bars. What options do I have if the product category is not found? Can I add it or the feed will be rejected?

Your insights are greatly appreciated!

Jannie Welson

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

For any issues, please open a new thread.

You must choose the most appropriate category possible, the below might be the most appropriate. However you need to make that decision. You can not create your own categories.

Vehicles & Parts > Vehicle Parts & Accessories > Motor Vehicle Parts > Motor Vehicle Frame & Body Parts

A full updated category list is here https://www.google.com/basepages/producttype/taxonomy.en-US.txt 

hope it helps

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Google Merchant Taxonomy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Emmanuel.

After some further reading, I found some info that I could use the 'product type' attribute to have my own product category. 

I added it as "Vehicle Parts > Vehicle Parts & Accessories > Exterior Accessories > Grille Guards & Bull Bars > Bull Bars' and it looks like the product feed was uploaded and am able to see it in under the 'List'. 

Does this mean that the product will not show up when searched for in Google?

Appreciate your help with this!

Jannie