AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Google Adwords running an ad without permission

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Plz take down your ad for customer #467-590-1386. You don't have permission to take it live. You are not getting paid for it. Plz do not try to run it again without written permission.

Boston Town Crier

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
August

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

This is a public help community for AdWords... not your AdWords account. There is no one here that can accept such a request and do anything with it. 

AdWords is a paid advertising system where an ads will only go live when someone enables the campaign. And any performance of the ad for that specific campaign is billed to the account it belongs to, which is responsible for any amount owed. 

The account holder can log in and remove the ad. They can pause the ad. They can remove or pause the ad, ad group, campaign, etc.. anytime they want. 

The account holder can also cancel their AdWords account at anytime

If someone is not the account holder and has an issue with a specific ad, they can report it

Kind Regards,

James

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
August

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

This is a public help community for AdWords... not your AdWords account. There is no one here that can accept such a request and do anything with it. 

AdWords is a paid advertising system where an ads will only go live when someone enables the campaign. And any performance of the ad for that specific campaign is billed to the account it belongs to, which is responsible for any amount owed. 

The account holder can log in and remove the ad. They can pause the ad. They can remove or pause the ad, ad group, campaign, etc.. anytime they want. 

The account holder can also cancel their AdWords account at anytime

If someone is not the account holder and has an issue with a specific ad, they can report it

Kind Regards,

James

Re: Google Adwords running an ad without permission

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This reply isn't helpful bcuz I can't log into my acct without passwords &
codes, which I don't have. There seem to be 2 different AdWords acts on 2
different emails.

Ideally, there would be a customer service phone number or chat line to
ensure we are not being charged for an unwanted ad bcuz AdWords just sent
me an email saying my ad is live. I do hope this doesn't lead to a hassle
over money.

At any rate, I tried! If I'm charged now it is a sword fault for setting up
dummy links to contact us leading to community forums with self-help advice
that isn't very useful to me.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi,

Sorry you feel that way. We do help thousands of AdWords users each month through these communities... but yes, some issues cannot be handled here. We do not operate individual AdWords accounts, in any respect, no matter what. Each account holder must operate their own accounts. 

Phone support is only offered to account holders that can verify they are the admin/owner of the account. You are welcome to call 1-866-246-6453 Monday-Friday, 9:00 am to 8:00 pm (EST) to interact with AdWords Support.

Regardless if you contact support or not, the account holder is responsible for any charges on the account, so I do suggest someone take the appropriate action to prevent ad performance if it is not wanted.  

Best wishes,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you! A phone number at last! Now I can get this thing taken care of.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

James, 

I'm not sure you are correct when you say someone has to enable the campaign. I created three campaigns and never completed the full set up, yet just from starting the campaign the ads were turned live and I was billed $400 before I caught this. So a person doesn't really need to enable them, mine were just started for me. Not satisfied 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Carmelo,

I disagree. Somewhere along the line the campaigns were created and somehow enabled... since a paused campaign cannot run. It could be that during the creation process you enabled them for an hour and then paused them and during that hour they incurred performance that you are being billed for after the fact, or some other situation like that happened. 

Since no one here can access your account or assist with giving back $400, you would be best served to contact support and tell them the same thing you are telling us here. They will be able to see the details that matter, such as when the campaign was created, when it was enabled, and how it incurred the $400 charges for ad performance. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The problem is that when a campaign is created, not even a finished one, the campaign was turned on and the ad was approved. Your reasoning makes it sound like the user must enable them, but that is untrue. The ad is automatically enabled even if it isn't saved. Additionally your data doesn't show or prove that it was saved. Instead customer service reps claim that everything is automated and offer no refunds. 

Bing does offer refunds and they do the same thing when it comes to automatically enabling them, but they understand that sometimes the system should not do this. 

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Carmelo,

They way Google Ads works, is how the system works. Comparing it to Bing is a moot point. 

Further, when creating a new campaign, that does enable it. If the campaign is not ready to go live you would want to pause it, build it, and then enable it. But you are still either enabling or pausing the campaigns. Any campaigns can be enabled or paused by the account holder, at will. 

Regardless to how we (you and I) want to say it... you had an enabled campaign that incurred charges and support refuses to refund the money, which leaves you unhappy with Google Ads... and further unhappy with my replies. Sorry that is the issue but it leaves us with nothing more to discuss since myself, or anyone else in this community, cannot give you back the money you spent. 

It is advisable to all that while building the campaign it does not go live, but once you click save (even if you are not completely done building it to your liking), it does go live unless you pause it. And once it is paused it cannot incur charges and it cannot enable itself. These actions are in full control of the account holder. Google Ads is spending your real money so be cautious!

Cheers,

James 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Comparing to your biggest competitor is not a moot point by any means.

Yes the act of saving and enabling are essentially the same thing. On no
other platform are they the same, so as a digital marketer it is very easy
to be fooled by Adwords.

--
*Carmelo Mannino*
CEO, STOW IT
970.294.6640 | stowit.com