AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Getting Merchant Center custom attributes to show in AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been struggling for several days trying to get our custom attributes in our Merchant Center feeds to show up in AdWords, to no avail. Note: I am not trying to group by these attributes. Rather, they are unique, fluctuating values associated at the product level for our internal use.

When adding a custom attribute, such as "c:attribute_name:decimal" to our feeds, the correct value is displayed (though rounded after a few decimal places) at the product level within Merchant Center under "Information you provided us". However, these attributes are not accessible in AdWords at any level.

After hearing back from a Google rep, we followed that individual's recommendation to place these custom attributes as the values for a new custom_label_#. Unfortunately, this only resulted in the string literal "c:attribute_name:decimal" to be displayed for every single entry.

So, we then went with the rep's first suggestion to just add the values directly to the custom_label_# attribute. This has resulted in an unusable mess at best. The vast majority of the fields now contain "--" as their value, with the very occasional few having the correct value (a few dozen out of thousands of entries).

I had expressed my concern about using the custom_label_# approach as this was designed to be used as a mechanism for grouping products, and that it had an inherent effectual limitation of 1,000 unique entries. I was told this wouldn't be a problem. 

Can anyone provide any insight at all into a workable solution?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Getting Merchant Center custom attributes to show in AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
May I ask what you are trying to achieve with these values. I'm currently struggling to understand why you would want these values at the product level. Is it to filter down further than the product? Which would be a bit unnecessary.

Or is it for you to identify the product.

A better explanation what you want to do, might provide me and others to try and provide you with a method.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

float may be used to submit floating-point custom attributes; e.g.
c:cbx:float
of course, the syntax is different for xml feeds.

yes, the custom label attributes are for grouping
sets of items mainly to implement bid strategies --

and more generally, not suitable for unique values.

note that custom-attributes may or may not be indexed for or seen in results;
and if so, would still be subject to the auction's bid and quality measures but
could not be used directly within the shopping-campaign for bidding; so their

usefulness is rather limited.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Emmanuel. Note: I am not trying to group by these attributes. Rather, they are unique, fluctuating values associated at the product level for our internal use.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Celebird. The float type was only listed as a choice for XML feeds. Per the link I originally provided, tab-delimited files only have "decimal" to fill that role.

We do not desire for these values to be displayed as part of the PLA. This is only to have that data available for reporting directly against things like CPC, CTR, etc.

EDIT: Sorry! I did not actually provide the link in my original post (https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/160602?hl=en)

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

currently, i believe that float also works for a tab-delimited feed
if the syntax is updated accordingly, despite the documentation.

whether the values are made available to reporting within
the campaign would likely need to be discovered empirically.