AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

General search queries in Product Listing Ads (PLAs)?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What are the best practices for optimizing general searches in Product Listing Ads (PLAs)? For example, when someone searches on the brand name and the advertiser carries multiple products under that brand name.

In a traditional search campaign, these queries would be driven to a general brand page. What is the mirror of this for PLAs? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lucas A
September 2015

Re: General search queries in Product Listing Ads (PLAs)?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Lucas.

That's a very good question. One that each marketer running PLAs gets to ask himself at one point.

When your bids are high enough, your ad rank is subsequently high enough to trigger product ads which will take the visitor to a product page.

What I've done so far is the following:

• see how a brand name search does with respect to conversions / assisted conversions
  • if it performs well, let it do its job and reap the benefits
  • if it doesn't perform well, check its performance across several landing pages where it may bring traffic
  • if the performance is nothing to call home about, consider adding it as a negative and focus on getting one of your text ads on top for those brand searches
  • if the performance is only interesting for some products, make sure to target it in ad groups where you have those products (top sellers for that brand, maybe) and use it as a negative for the others (negative exact)

In each and every situation, though, it is very helpful to have, on each product page, a very prominent "Other products from Brand X" link and if possible related products. But that's sometimes not so easy to do if the feature is not already there. And, of course, if the brand search term is a profitable one, make sure, as I said, to have a text ad accompany your PLAs as well.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lucas A
September 2015

Re: General search queries in Product Listing Ads (PLAs)?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Lucas.

That's a very good question. One that each marketer running PLAs gets to ask himself at one point.

When your bids are high enough, your ad rank is subsequently high enough to trigger product ads which will take the visitor to a product page.

What I've done so far is the following:

• see how a brand name search does with respect to conversions / assisted conversions
  • if it performs well, let it do its job and reap the benefits
  • if it doesn't perform well, check its performance across several landing pages where it may bring traffic
  • if the performance is nothing to call home about, consider adding it as a negative and focus on getting one of your text ads on top for those brand searches
  • if the performance is only interesting for some products, make sure to target it in ad groups where you have those products (top sellers for that brand, maybe) and use it as a negative for the others (negative exact)

In each and every situation, though, it is very helpful to have, on each product page, a very prominent "Other products from Brand X" link and if possible related products. But that's sometimes not so easy to do if the feature is not already there. And, of course, if the brand search term is a profitable one, make sure, as I said, to have a text ad accompany your PLAs as well.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.