AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

GTIN requirements if you do not target other countries?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Greetings. I have been trying to read and find answers but it's kind of an overload of info for me. I have used Google shopping feeds for years and depend on them heavily. I am based in the USA, and only target my thousands of products for the USA market, in other words I do not sell "globally" and it seems there will be new, strict requirements to start providing these GTIN identifiers. We have thousands of items from many manufacturers and I don't even know where I would start to try to obtain these GTIN's and don't even know if many of the items are even have them. I read with dispair about others that have had thousands of items disallowed because of this new requirement and I don;t know what to do, or if I even need to do anything? If I do not sell globally, are the GTIN's even required for me? I am sorry if this has been covered but I am not finding the answer for someone that is US based and is not selling on the global market. My feeds are domestic only.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gregory A
May 2016

Re: GTIN requirements if you do not target other countries?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
By GTIN Google means you need to provide one of the global identifiers, which in the case of the USA is the UPC.

Whether you sell globally or not is irrelevant.

View solution in original post

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
"If you're targeting Australia, Brazil, the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, the UK, or the US, submit correct GTINs and the corresponding brand for all new, in-stock products that have GTINs assigned by the manufacturer."

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6352134?hl=en

Apparently, in North America you just need the UPC from the barcode:

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6219078?hl=en

There's also a link to the barcode scanner app that can give you the GTIN from a scan.
Tom

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Alongside what Tom said about bar code scanners, you can also do lookups on bar code databases. Simply search on Google. To have a competitive edge it is always recommended to follow all policy requirements and fix all errors and warnings.

Hire someone do it for you like on freelance websites to do the task for you.

Other than that, not much I can suggest.
Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gregory A
May 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
By GTIN Google means you need to provide one of the global identifiers, which in the case of the USA is the UPC.

Whether you sell globally or not is irrelevant.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks all of you for your responses, I do understand now. There is a field in our catalog for UPC, the daunting task now in obtaining thousands of UPC codes, but I did about 100 last night and was getting faster at it. i will have to find a way to streamline the process thru the batch editor.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks very much for taking your time out to help me.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks very much tom, you were very helpful.