AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

GTIN required for configurable products

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

The products we sell nearly all have colour and/or size variations. We have these set up as configurable and simple products. For example:

Configurable product: Jacket

Associated Simple Products: Jacket-Black-Size Small, Jacket-Black-Size Medium, Jacket-Black-Size Large and so on.

We have set GTIN for the associated simple products, along with size and colour attributes in our feed. However, the configurable product is now disapproved due to the fact it needs a GTIN. The configurable products do not have a colour or size and therefore no GTIN - these are all associated to the simple products.

I have spoke to Google, who recommend using the attribute 'identifier exists' set to 'FALSE'. This appears to be for custom made/handmade products. When I questioned google about this further, I got a very muddled response. On a side note, I am getting warnings for the lack of size and colour for the configurable products, which whilst isn't causing any disapprovals would seem to me to be a very similar issue to the GTIN.

Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this? Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GTIN required for configurable products

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hello @Edward C the size and color is not similar in errors to GTIN.

The size and color is recommended in all countries except for US where it is required. The size and color is there to get Google understand what the product is. This allows the Shopper when they are searching for a jacket to filter down to different sizes or colors using the built in Shopping Filters.

If you do not use these attributes than the changes are very high you will not be in the product listing when the filters are activated.

My recommendation is to ensure all recommend and required attributes are added.

If you do not know how to do this, I suggest contacting the application developer.

Hope it helps

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Also remember with all product variants/child products, your landing page URL in the feed for each product must bring up the appropriate variants preselected. So if the listing is for a large black sweater, the landing page should already have the color black and the size large preselected. If not, eventually those items will get disapproved when Google catches it.

And @Emmanuel F is right, you will want to include all of those variant attributes in your feed so that they are displayed correctly, can be searched by Google, and can allow your PLA's to be grouped together by Item Group ID for a better UX for your customers.

Also, you should not be including products in your feed that are not actual products. So if you don't have a jacket that has no size or color, that should not be a listing in your feed if you are including variants. If you are not including any variants/child products, having the generic configurable product is fine. If you are including the variants (which it sounds like you are and is frankly the best practice) you should just have those products and group them all together under the same Item Group ID rather than including a parent product.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have the exact same problem. And the answers below do not solve your question.

Parent products in apparal do not have EAN/barcodes. Google should know this.

So a MPN+Brand should suffice and is completely valid according to all specs.

The problem is that this feedback: does not surface high enough in the merchant team so it is adequately addressed. The internet is littered with these kind of problems. 

Parent products in apparal do not have EAN/barcodes

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

only physical items are allowed to be submitted --

or is otherwise a policy violation and grounds for

disapproval or suspension, at any time.

each physical inventory item must be submitted separately.

parent-products are not allowed to be submitted, at all.