AdWords
6.8K members online now
6.8K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

GTIN Issues and How To Exclude Products from Feed that's taken directly from a website backend

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

I have a few issues. One glaring issue is that I have several products that don't have a GTIN, but I keep having them disapproved by Google saying that they need one. The item I sell does not have a GTIN provided by the manufacturer, only a MPN and a brand. I don't know what to do!! This is a recurring issue.

Also, what attribute can I use to exclude products off of a feed that are directly taken from a website's backend through the FTP? Would expiration_date work? Is there another work-a-around? I don't want to have to make the person stop selling these items because they don't have a picture for them just yet. Any suggestion/solution would be greatly appreciated for this!

Does anyone have any experience getting images fixed to meet Google specifications? I am working with a client who needs to have their account fixed fast! Any input on that would be greatly appreciated as well!

Thanks!!

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Emmanuel F (Rising Star)
February 2017

GTIN Issues and How To Exclude Products from Feed that's taken directly from a website backend

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Rachael,

The GTIN issue is easily fixed. Add identifier_exists to the product feed and set it to no for products that don't have GTINs. Make sure you also remove brand and MPN from those products.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

To follow up on Rob's answer, for more details on identifier exists attribute : https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6324478?hl=en&ref_topic=6324338

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Do you have any other suggestions? This product feed is pulled right from the back end of a website and I don't want to remove the brand from these products because that would affect the product page, on page content, etc.

Also when you remove products from the list in the merchant center, how difficult is it to put it back up?

Would it also be re-added once the feed pulls again at its normal time?

Thanks!

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi Rachael,

Feed rules might be able to help you:

Feed Rules offer a way to transform your data for Google Merchant Center. Feed Rules may make it possible for you to export and submit your product database “as is” and then transform your attributes and values to meet the Google Shopping feed specification requirements directly in Google Merchant Center.
https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6302307?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm hoping that someone can help me.

I too have a recurring GTIN problem.

Google seem convinced that there is one. There's a 14 digit code on the box starting 04. The product does not appear on http://www.upcitemdb.com if I search by name, and it does not return an item if I search by code 04008600086093, with or without the leading 0.

I am tearing my hair out and am worried that I'm going to compromise my linked accounts by having so many issues with this one feed.

There is an mpn, but I understand I have to drop this. Do I just leave the mpn blank in the datafeed, or do I delete the column heading mpn as well? Does the same apply to ID or brand?

This is a mainstream product from a global brand (NUK). It's just never been retailed before in the UK in the correct boxed quantities (split boxes on Amazon/ebay are common).

I cannot get consistent replies from customer support. This has now been going on for a week.

To be honest, if Google are so convinced about the integrity of their database, why don't they just give me the GTIN that they have on record and be done with it?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A follow up.

Adwords support have been very helpful. This issue is now resolved.

Dropping the brand and MPN was not the answer.

It was necessary to obtain a list of EAN/GTINs from the manufacturer via my supplier.

I forwarded all correspondence to Adwords support together with the list.

It took a few days, but eventually, Google accepted the GTINs and my Google Shopping ads went live.

If anyone else has similar issues, I recommend that they gather the supporting evidence and be very patient. My issue was being handled by staff in California. I'm in the UK - we're in different time zones.

I'd like to thank Maivien in particular for their assistance and for repeatedly following up with me.

Richard.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

first, that sounds like good news and thank you for the cogent follow-up.

note that there is a difference between missing gtin --
gtin that does not exist, at all and gtin that simply have
not been located yet or difficult to locate, such as with

newer items.

items where gtin does exist but are simply difficult to locate,

require  the item to be submitted with proper gtin and brand,

or not submitted until proper global-trade-data can be located --
contacting the manufacturer via a supplier is one good method.

items where valid gtin does not exist, at all, do require
identifier_exists set to no and not submitting any gtin,

brand, or mpn values, for such items.

see also
http://www.gs1.org/barcodes/ean-upc