AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

GTIN DOES NOT EXIST but Google thinks it does

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I manage the product catalogs for more than 60 websites and, unfortunately, run into a problem with Google Shopping feeds that are disapproved because Google thinks a EIN, GTIN or UPC exists for a product when it simply does not.

When I contact the manufacturer, they tell me that there are no bar codes on their products. They should know. What I think is happening is that certain large retail chains are slapping their own bar codes on products for inventory control purposes and entering those numbers as GTINs. Then, Google assumes there is an actual manufacturer-assigned GTIN and feeds are being rejected.

My personal opinion is that requiring a GTIN is ridiculous. If Google is rejecting a product because it has a GTIN but you haven't used it, then Google already knows the GTIN and has no basis for pretending it doesn't know the GTIN and rejecting the product. Google only makes things worse when they assume there is a unique product identifier because another company has falsely assigned one to a product in a feed. Rejecting products (and ad revenue) based upon a faulty premise sure sounds like a bad business model to me - especially when competing search engines do not require such a ridiculous and error-prone attribute.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Personally, I would've expected Google to see the same GTIN from multiple advertisers before deciding that it is legit. 

Have you contacted Google support?

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

The only way to resolve this is by having the manufacturer submit all there products to the Manufacturer Center

https://www.google.com/retail/manufacturer-center/

This than gives Google all the correct data.

Hope it helps

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’